none
V-Lans in a Server environment RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

When creating vlans on a router, how should i get my dhcp servers in  those v-lans and let my clients connect to the servers?

Anyone who can explain this to me?

Thanks.

• Edited by enlil Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:38 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Enlil,

>>When creating vlans on a router, how should i get my dhcp servers

If DHCP server is in different subnet with clients, you need to configure DHCP relay agent on router.

And client will obtain IP address from DHCP server, and then you could configure route table on router to forward traffic.

The link below is information about DHCP relay agent for your reference:

IPv4 - DHCP Relay Agent

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754996%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi John,

But what if i only have one router and i still want to use vlans? Switches are layer 3.

How should i configure this? Give my servers a vlan 1 and the other computers a different vlan?

Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hi Enlil,

>>But what if i only have one router and i still want to use vlans? Switches are layer 3.

You could contact with router provider to get effect support.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:49 AM
  • 1. Do an Internet search using your network gear make/model to and look for "IPHelper." You will almost certainly find content on how to configure DHCP forwarding for your particular piece of equipment.

2. Yes, if possible put your servers in a single VLAN, and put clients in a different VLAN. This will make your life easier when it comes to applying security to your environment.

Mike J

MJ

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

John

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Many thanks for asking . i am still not sure how to get things done. need to start testing but we dont have switches with vlans ,so testing is not possible
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:46 PM
  • Hi Enlil,

You could configure DHCP proxy on routers to ensure clients could obtain IP address from DHCP server, and then you could create route entries for clients, and then client will communicate with each others.

For configuration of router, you could contact with router provider to get effect support.

Best Regards

John

• Edited by John Lii Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:33 AM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:33 AM