none
Versioning with MS Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

I use MS Project and Server 2010 and I have a question.

Is there any possibility to make a versioning of the schedules saved and/or published on the server?

If I would save it local I would simply change the name like ****_V2.mpp

How I can do this on the server - simple the same?

What about links between schedules?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Br

Tobias

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Tobias,

Project Server on premise proposes a daily backup and restore feature in the server settings. It allows you specifying which enterprise objects you want to daily backup (typically projects), when you do it and how many versions you want to retain (retention number). Then you can select whatever backed up version and restore it to the draft DB.

Here is some links:

• http://azlav.umtblog.com/2012/08/30/the-right-way-to-configure-administrative-backup/ 
    • http://www.gurusoftware.com/ProjectServer/Learning2010ActualTraining/Courses/Administrator/Sections/ProjectServerMisc/PSDatabaseBackUpRestore.htm

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Tobias --

If memory serves me correctly, the last version of Project Server that offered the Versioning feature was Project Server 2003.  The Versioning feature was pretty useless, however, and it was removed from all future versions.  So, to answer your question, there is no Versioning feature in Project Server 2010 that would do what you want it to do.  Guillaume does tell you correctly about the backup feature in Project Server 2010, which does maintain copies of your enterprise projects, but I do not believe they are the versions that you would seek.

Beyond this, you must be VERY CAREFUL about saving enterprise projects as local MPP files when you have cross-project links in your enterprise projects.  What will happen is that each time you save the project, you will DUPLICATE the cross-project links in the Predecessor and Successor projects, which will make you very unhappy.  So, if you are using cross-project links in your enterprise projects, I would encourage you to NOT save these projects as MPP files at all.

Hope this additional bit of information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Hello,

first of all: Thanks for help. Second: Sorry for late reply but I was ill.

The versioning with the daily backups is maybe ok, but not the best in my eyes.

My other problem is, that I need for sure a local copy of some schedules that are cross linked - and yes, from time to time it happens that the links are then double.

How can I do it, without having this kind of problems?

Thanks again for your help.

Br

Tobias

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Tobias --

Saving an enterprise project as an MPP file when that project contains cross-project links will create duplicate links in the MPP file and all other projects to which it is linked.  There is no way around this, so I think your hope of creating some kind of versioning process is not going to work.  Have you considered saving your enterprise projects as PDF documents instead, which would eliminate your problem?  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:51 PM