Activate windows after motherboard replacement RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP Pro Dell 5150 that got struck by lightning and I diagnosed a bad mother board.  Strange as is seems, power supply and hard drvie okay.  The replacement motherboard has a different NIC brand so I have no internet at the moment. I was able to successfully boot once but now as I give the machine the three finger salute to login and do so the maching tells me that thos copy of windows is not activated and I must activate it now to continue.  Having no internet I have to opt to enter the mile long product id and wait on the voice to proceed.  Now the problem, he states that they have no record and can't help me and gave me a web address, duh!  I wrote down the license key on the COA which is on the original Dell 5150 and went through the phone process again, but to no avail.

There is a ton of legacy apps on this box that probably not work on win 7.  One thought is to save all of my files on an external disk, crap everthing buy doing a complete fresh reinstall of windows XP, reload the apps and copy back the data files, download the appropriate nic dirvers and i'm off to the races, however I have a better use of the 4 hours to do that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Monday, August 13, 2012 12:13 PM