UEFI inquiry RRS feed

• Question

• I'll cut to the chase here.
    I have a windows 8 laptop given to me by a friend that he needs repaired by monday. I'll ask for an extension if you guys can't reply in time or this takes longer.

The short version is that I'm getting an error on a windows 7 USB flashdrive (because I don't have a drive big enough for windows 8/8.1) saying it can't read the BCD, giving an error code like 0x000000d or something. All I know is that it's a string of zeroes that end in a single d.

How would I go about rebuilding the BCD on a USB drive without touching my windows drive? I have an ubuntu partition on my personal computer if it makes things simpler.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Someone please move this to question. It's almost midnight and I'm completely worn out by this EUFI/UEFI/IEFU crap.
    • Edited by That Guy Who Does Stuff Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:54 AM Request transfer of topic to question
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:15 AM Edit title to reflect question
    • Changed type Carey FrischMVP Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:15 AM Question
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:53 AM

All replies

• Since one cannot repair a Windows 8 installation using a Windows 7 USB flash drive, what are you attempting to accomplish? 

Carey Frisch

Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding to build BCD, please see this link:

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If you got any update of this issue, we'd be appreciate it that you could share your experience here.

Regards 

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 10, 2014 9:44 AM