none
Excel losses pins after opening shared spreadsheet RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a University have Windows 10 and MS Office Professional Plus 2016.   I have my frequently used files pinned in Excel.  Someone sent me a link to a shared spreadsheet and I opened and viewed it.  The next time I opened Excel all of my pins were gone.  How do I prevent this from happening again?
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the build number of your Office?
    To collect the build number of your Office, please open excel, then go to File tab-> Account. In the Product Information, choose About Excel, share us the Office build number.

>>Someone sent me a link to a shared spreadsheet and I opened and viewed it.<<
    By this ‘link’, it is a OneDrive shared link or other situation?

I ran a test in my environment(Win10 & Office 2016 Build 9001.2171). I got no luck to reproduce this issue. Here is what I did:

1. Got a shared link from my colleague which is a Excel workbook stored in OneDrive. How the link was shared:

2. After I clicked this link, it jumped to Excel Online with the workbook opened.
    3. I chose Edit in Excel in Edit Workbook

4. The workbook is opened in my Excel desktop app.
    5. Then I close this workbook and Double click the Excel 2016.exe
    6. All my pinned file are still there.

I also found two situations that will cause the pinned file disappear: Sign out account in Office and Switch to another account in Office. Switch to another account will display the pinned file of current account. While Sign out will empty the files displayed in Recent, showed in the picture below.

In the meantime, please try to repair your office and see if this issue still exists. Here is how: Go to Control Panel -> Program and Features -> Select Microsoft Office then choose Change ->Choose Online Repair-> Repair. Then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the repair. Reference: Repair an Office application.

Any updates on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Aaron .Zhang Friday, March 2, 2018 10:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Monday, March 5, 2018 1:26 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since your last reply. I am checking the status of this issue. Any update on your side, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Hi Bob,

How is it going?

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:35 AM