none
DPM 2012 SP1 supports fiber Channel Tape library RRS feed

• Question

• I have query regarding windows server 2012 Hyper V  Virtual machines

Requirement:

I need to install System Center Data Protection manager 2012 SP1 on windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine , From DPM I need to take my data backup directly on tape drives

Problem Statement:

As written in DPM 2012 SP1 Technet Documentation

"Short-term or long-term backup to tape will be limited to using iSCSI attached tape libraries, and we recommend a separate NIC for that connection."

So I am bit confuse that Hyper V 2012  Virtual machines will support Fiber Channel Tape Libraries or not can you please help me for this.

Usama Arif

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We have had several customers try to use tape library attached to SynthFC and have run into problems, but if you attach the same library to physical server, it works fine.  The Windows group is investigating ..

In the meantime, If you have a VM with fc tape library attached, see if the below standalone utility works or if some of the tests fail.  If all pass then DPM should work with it also. 

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=885774776d4f197a&sc=documents&id=885774776D4F197A%21128

For tape library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Let me know the library make / model if you get it to work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply , can you please help me in another query  If I change my design and install DPM on physical server instead of VM so SynthFC tape libraries will be able to attached with it ?

as mention below line making confusion on TechNet documents of DPM 2012 in DMP Server installation Limitation Part

"Short-term or long-term backup to tape will be limited to using iSCSI attached tape libraries, and we recommend a separate NIC for that connection."

Usama Arif

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

If you install DPM on a Physical machine, then a physical fiber HBA will be used to connect to the tape library.  The TechNet article only applied to DPM running in a VM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:28 PM