none
Exchange 2013 CU11 - Mail hungup in Messages Queue

Question

• Hello, Server 2008 R2, over last few days mail took a few hours to get delivered, today all messages stuck as "Ready" in Messages Queue on Exchange 2013 CU11 multirole server.  Error Viewer doesn't have any errors really.  I tried telnet and those messages are stuck in there also.  Any ideas?  Nothing has changed on the server it just started happening on its own.  Plenty of hdd space, memory isn't full, CPU isn't overloaded.
    • Edited by mgnj Friday, August 5, 2016 9:03 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Answers

• Seems to be the Anti-Spam agent, I stopped it and then the Submission Queue emptied.  It split everything into Queues from all the Junk domains trying to send our server Spam.  I went thru and deleted all of this Spam and restarted the Anti-Spam -- so far so good.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:05 PM

All replies

• How are you sending messages out, through smarthost or DNS?

What do you get if you run:

Get-Queue –SortOrder:-MessageCount

Are there any queues suspended?

If so, run:

Resume-Queue "queue name"

If there aren't any queues suspended, you could try bouncing the Transport Service.

My Blog: http://exchangeitup.blogspot.com My Twitter: http://twitter.com/ExchangeITup

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:39 PM
  • DNS, I am trying to send mail to internal users and telnet to myself and I get the same results.  Would that still be DNS related?
    Friday, August 5, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Identity                   DeliveryType Status MessageCount Velocity RiskLevel OutboundIPPool NextHopDomain
    --------                   ------------ ------ ------------ -------- --------- -------------- -------------
    ES2013\Submission          Undefined    Ready  0            0        Normal    0              Submission

I have tried restarting the Transport services as well as the server itself.  I have a GFI AntiSpam which is working fine and delivering the email to Exchange after it passes thru it (I guess obviously if its in the queue).

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Seems to work now as mail is delivered to Inboxes, I saw that WMSVC wasn't running (upgrade to CU13 complained on pre-req checks) and the reason was that the WMSVC cert was missing -- strange.  Now I am getting the error when I try to create new mail that "You do not have permission to perform this action."
    Monday, August 8, 2016 1:17 AM
  • Still not working, here is the output of Get-Queue

Identity                   DeliveryType Status MessageCount Velocity RiskLevel OutboundIPPool NextHopDomain
    --------                   ------------ ------ ------------ -------- --------- -------------- -------------
    ES2013\Submission          Undefined    Ready  8128         -0.54    Normal    0              Submission
    ES2013\11                  DnsConnec... Retry  1            0        Normal    0              feh.us
    ES2013\3                   SmtpDeliv... Ready  0            0        Normal    0              mailbox database

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:36 PM
  • I sent emails last night from administrator via OWA to my personal gmail and they took 2.5 hours to get to gmail -- the original problem was that we were slowly starting to have delays in getting mail last week and eventually all mail halted.  When I logged into the server last night and went into my company email account on localhost\OWA they were all delivered from Friday.   
    Monday, August 8, 2016 3:38 PM
  • I have removed the server from receiving mail and put back out old Exchange 2003 server but the message count keeps increasing, what does this mean?

Identity                   DeliveryType Status MessageCount Velocity RiskLevel OutboundIPPool NextHopDomain
    ES2013\Submission          Undefined    Ready  8351         -0.42    Normal    0              Submission
    ES2013\11                  DnsConnec... Retry  1            0        Normal    0              feh.us
    ES2013\3                   SmtpDeliv... Ready  0            0        Normal    0              mailbox database

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

For your question, I want to confirm:
    1. Do you have virus application in your environment?
    2. Do you install additional transport agent in your environment?

Please run below command to check: Get-TransportAgent
    Also you can disable suspicious agent for testing.

If this issue persists, please run Get-MessageTrackinglog with a test message to get details about process of deliver.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124926(v=exchg.141).aspx

Besides, you need add WMSVC cert for the Web Management service. For your reference:
    http://exchangeserverpro.com/service-wmsvc-failed-to-reach-status-running-on-this-server/
    Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Can you disable/uninstall from your this server if you have one?

And please go through the ms exchange transport logs if you can find anything useful there to narrow down the issue?

Or try to look for 1050 event which says transport agent or directory is not available which required to repair the installation.

Thanks,

Yogesh

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Seems to be the Anti-Spam agent, I stopped it and then the Submission Queue emptied.  It split everything into Queues from all the Junk domains trying to send our server Spam.  I went thru and deleted all of this Spam and restarted the Anti-Spam -- so far so good.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your updates, and glad the issue solved.

Please mark the reply as answer if it's helped.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:33 AM