none
AMD Device driver update through Windows update removes working display adapter

Question

• Windows update on 11/23/2017 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0) was successfully installed.  However, this removes the AMD Display driver for my ATI Radeon 3450, and I no longer have the ability to display the native resolution of my Samsung 220WM monitor - 1600x1050.  It now displays in lower resolution with an incorrect aspect ratio - there's no way to change it.

I have completely removed all display drivers in Safe Mode and reinstalled the most recent AMD Catalyst Control center.  It properly sets the ratio and monitor displays correctly, but then Windows Update comes along a few minutes later and overwrites it again.  This update shows up in the Windows Update History, but isn't available to uninstall.  Looking for a fix for this.  Thanks.

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:35 PM

All replies

• Windows update on 11/23/2017 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0) was successfully installed.  However, this removes the Display driver for my ATI Radeon , and I no longer have the ability to display the native resolution of my Dell Studio - 1600x1050.  It now displays in lower resolution with an incorrect aspect ratio - there's no way to change it.

I have completely removed the update and then the issue is solved.  B ut then Windows Update comes along a few minutes later and overwrites it again.  This update shows up in the Windows Update History, but isn't available to uninstall. Pls corecte this asap. It is very booring to work with in this config.

Friday, November 24, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Found a solution.  Use this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Disable the AMD update.

Once that is done>>

In Device Manager, go to the display driver properties, Driver tab, Roll Back Driver.

Friday, November 24, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Thank you for this answer.  Will the roll back be permanent or will Windows Update automatically install this update again?
    Friday, November 24, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Hi, quick question? My computer updated as well yesterday with (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0) and my resolution has expanded. How did you remove the update?
    Friday, November 24, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Hi, quick question? My computer updated as well yesterday with (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0) and my resolution has expanded. How did you remove the update?
    Friday, November 24, 2017 6:26 PM
  • This has taken care of the problem - thanks!  Needed to rollback the driver and then download a MS troubleshooter package to disable this specific driver update from loading as per the above link.
    Friday, November 24, 2017 7:49 PM
  • I went to the driver properties and Roll Back Driver was greyed out.  Any other options?

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Please provide a link to this MS troubleshooter package that disables specific updates as both myself and a friend have the same issue with an AMD Display driver that continually re-downloads after every System Restore we do to try to fix problem. Thanks.
    Friday, November 24, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Hello, 

Same issue on my Dell Studio Laptop. I have Windows 10 v1703.

The "Rollback Driver" option is greyed out.

I have tried to manually uninstall the updated driver and then run the troubleshooter package but it did not find any issue.

Please advise! My laptop is near unusable because of this annoying update...

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:09 PM
  • The link to the troubleshooter package is found in the link above - here it is:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

It's about halfway down, named: Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:10 PM
  • On the driver tab where Rollback Driver is greyed out, instead click Update Driver.  Then click the option "Browse my computer for driver software", and then click "Let me pick a list of available drivers on my computer" on the next screen.  It should have the old driver there to manually select.
    • Proposed as answer by MNBrett Friday, December 1, 2017 2:49 AM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 9:31 PM
  • On the driver tab where Rollback Driver is greyed out, instead click Update Driver.  Then click the option "Browse my computer for driver software", and then click "Let me pick a list of available drivers on my computer" on the next screen.  It should have the old driver there to manually select.

This! I had already spent half of the day trying to figure out how to roll back when option is greyed out.

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by SandraStaple Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:39 PM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 10:14 PM
  • That's not really a permanent solution but whatever, working again. Now that this is working again, back to my macbook lol.
    Friday, November 24, 2017 10:34 PM
  • I ran Windows Update to test and this version of the driver was reinstalled.  Also, I am unable to roll it back - the Rollback option is greyed out.  This rollback is needed.  What is the fix?
    Friday, November 24, 2017 10:36 PM
  • This still does not work for me. Help!
    Friday, November 24, 2017 11:35 PM
  • I have the same version and dont see any guidelines. I haven't done anything but am very frustrated. Feeling like I need a new computer.
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for the assist.  Let's hope it lasts.  Better still - let's hope the MS Wizards fix it once and for all.  The post about picking the driver from 2015 was also helpful.

Thanks all !!!
    • Edited by JEP22 Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:30 AM
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:21 AM
  • I had the same issue. Go to Device Manager-Display Adapters. Double click on the ATI Radeon HD 4200 adapter. Go to the Driver tab and select Update Driver. Go to Browse My Computer then Let Me Pick..... Here's the missing step - select the driver from 2015, not the one from 2017. Screen will go black as it installs and you should be good to go.
    • Proposed as answer by Lakota Peter Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:24 PM
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:25 AM
  • I used a Restore Point to get back to the original working driver. After the PC restarted, I ran to Windows Update and used the Pause Updates option to stop the system from reinstalling the update. I now have 35 days before I can use the pause option again (HINT, HINT, Microsoft and AMD - fix the flippin' bloody DRIVER!!).

Imagine my surprise when I walk in the door back from an out-of-town Thanksgiving trip and find my PC display cocked up!! HEY MICROSOFT!! Put A Little More Thought Into This Stuff - Get a CALANDAR!!!

Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:45 AM
  • I used a Restore Point to get back to the original working driver. After the PC restarted, I ran to Windows Update and used the Pause Updates option to stop the system from reinstalling the update. I now have 35 days before I can use the pause option again (HINT, HINT, Microsoft and AMD - fix the flippin' bloody DRIVER!!).

Imagine my surprise when I walk in the door back from an out-of-town Thanksgiving trip and find my PC display cocked up!! HEY MICROSOFT!! Put A Little More Thought Into This Stuff - Get a CALANDAR!!!

Also used restore point and now i stopped automatic update through "gpedit.msc", also used "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.

I Found this site from AMD about "Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products" My card is in the not supported section, although it worked fine til now.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Win10-Driver-Support.aspx

Saturday, November 25, 2017 2:48 PM
  • En el administrador de dispositivos (devmgmt.msc), ir a Adaptadores de Pantalla -> Propiedades -> Controlador -> Revertir al controlador anterior

Luego descargar el paquete solucionador de problemas de Microsoft del siguiente link directo:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab 

O ingresando a la sección "Revertir un controlador de dispositivo" de  este link:

https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Este paquete buscará las actualizaciones pendientes y deberá aparecer "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 22.19.128.0", selecciónalo y ya no se instalará de forma automática nuevamente.

Saturday, November 25, 2017 3:14 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!  Man, I could not figure out what had happened . . . .  Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Many thanks for this reply! It worked for me! Now I think I will disable the automatic updates so that I'll be able to choose what and when to update....

Again, thank you!

• Edited by Lilou26 Saturday, November 25, 2017 7:07 PM
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Worked like a charm. Thanks SteveM26
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 9:37 PM
  • You are great!  Just what I was looking for.  Thank you very much!
    Sunday, November 26, 2017 2:59 AM
  • En el administrador de dispositivos (devmgmt.msc), ir a Adaptadores de Pantalla -> Propiedades -> Controlador -> Revertir al controlador anterior

Luego descargar el paquete solucionador de problemas de Microsoft del siguiente link directo:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab 

O ingresando a la sección "Revertir un controlador de dispositivo" de  este link:

https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Este paquete buscará las actualizaciones pendientes y deberá aparecer "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 22.19.128.0", selecciónalo y ya no se instalará de forma automática nuevamente.

Buenos días, Llevé a cabo la reversión del driver y volvió a funcionar correctamente, pero tras el reinicio del equipo, se me volvió a poner el driver nuevo, con lo que la resolución de la pantalla vuelve a ser la incorrecta.

Ahora no me sale la opción de Revertir el controlador ni tengo puntos de restauración a días anteriores a esto (han desaparecido).

¿Qué otra solución o pasos me podrías indicar para solventar el problema?

Versión Controlador actual "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 22.19.128.0" (la anterior era de 2015 y funcionaba)

Muchas gracias y un saludo,

Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:42 PM
  • This procedure recommended by Jonathan H worked fine for me.  Then Microsoft installed the latest version of W10 (Creators?) which told me during the installation something to the effect it was optimizing my system.  Obviously this included updating the ATI Radeon adapter to the latest release as my display was again distorted.  It was a simple matter to once again select the 2015 driver but I wonder if every time in the future there is an update to W10 if it will again "fix" my ATI Radeon driver?

Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:31 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  I wasted at least a few hours the past 2 days trying to fix this. I just did this and it worked. It was a bit scary actually as when I chose the older driver to install, my screen flashed black about 4 times, would show a tiny bit of text boxes in the background, then flash black again, and make the windows login sound. Then in said installed successfully and viola, my horrible stretched display was fixed! I am 90% finished working on a drawing instructional book, doing image editing in Photoshop, so I was a bit stressed out! Thanks so much for this fix!!
    Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:42 PM
  • This saved me wasting any more time - it worked! Thank you.

Will MS fix this? Are they aware of this?

It wrecked my old Dell Studio 1747.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Same exact thing happened to me. Same time, same result. You just need to roll back the driver. To do this: (Instructions for Windows 10, but should be similar for Windows 8, 8.1, and maybe 7. 1. Search in the search box "Drivers" and hit "Update Drivers" 2. Hit the dropdown for "Display Adapters" 3. Double-click the name of your display adapter, such as "ATI Radeon 3450" 4. In the popup, go to the "Driver" tab and select "Roll Back Driver" It should not reinstall itself after that. Hope that helped.

Update: This popped up a little wierdly - sorry if it is confusing.
    • Edited by dominic03 Monday, November 27, 2017 11:22 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Try to install version 1709
    Monday, November 27, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Roll Back Drivers worked for me.

Thanks,

Norman

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:28 PM
  • I have the same problem with one major difference.  I'm not able to update the driver because it gives me an Error Code 9 no matter which driver version I try to install (2017 or 2015).  Code 9 apparently appears because the driver doesn't have a valid hardware identification, so the display on my HP P7-1037c is screwed. AMD/ATI has no Windows 10 driver at all for the 4200, HP doesn't appear to have anything that can help either. This is nuts, I realize that my desktop is old and that the on chip radeon card is considered obsolete,  but the display was fine until this past Friday when the update was applied.  

Anyone have any ideas on getting around that Code 9?

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:31 PM

Buenos días, Llevé a cabo la reversión del driver y volvió a funcionar correctamente, pero tras el reinicio del equipo, se me volvió a poner el driver nuevo, con lo que la resolución de la pantalla vuelve a ser la incorrecta.

Ahora no me sale la opción de Revertir el controlador ni tengo puntos de restauración a días anteriores a esto (han desaparecido).

¿Qué otra solución o pasos me podrías indicar para solventar el problema?

Versión Controlador actual "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 22.19.128.0" (la anterior era de 2015 y funcionaba)

Muchas gracias y un saludo,

Hola! Hiciste los pasos de la segunda parte de mi explicación? Instalaste el solucionador de problemas de Microsoft? Desde ahì puedes hacer que la actualización ya no te aparezca más. Saludos!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:33 AM
  • I had the same problem with a 24" Samsung SD300 Monitor.  On 11/26/2017, the 7/27/2017 AMD Driver was updated (without my knowledge).  All the icons and typeface were "huge", and the resolution could not be adjusted beyond 1280x1024.  I downloaded Samsung drivers, which wouldn't work. I Called Samsung support, who couldn't help.  Then I found this thread, and kept scrolling down until I came across this response: My added comments are underlined.   

1. Search in the search box "Drivers" and hit "Update Drivers"

I actually went to ALL SETTINGS, then scrolled down DEVICE SETTINGS

2. Hit the dropdown for "Display Adapters"

3. Double-click the name of your display adapter, such as "ATI Radeon 3450"  (mine was ATI Radeon 4250)

The Driver displayed an update of (7/27/2017)

4. In the popup, go to the "Driver" tab and select "Roll Back Driver" It should not reinstall itself after that. Hope that helped.

I clicked on "Rollback", the screen went blank a few times, and it rolled back the driver to Jan 2015.

When it was complete, it was displaying 1920x1080 (tiny)

Works great now.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:59 AM
  • I have the same problem, but in my case, thinking that the poor resolution was from other source, i made a new installation of windows 10 home, falls creator, then I don´t find anymore any restauration point and or possibilites of scroll back the controler  or driver of ATI RADEON 4300/4500. The program is running the version 22.19.128.0, and there is no way to see pictures or any other thing in the screen clearly.

Do you think that I should envisage the change of the ATI card? There is other way to re-install the old driver?

I know that my equipment is old,  from 2009, but except from this is working fine!!

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot !!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Excellent advice! It appears that this has worked.

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:07 AM
  • The same thing happened to my Dad's laptop yestarday, so I did a system restore which fixed it.

While I was working on the laptop yesterday I looked at the Microsoft Update Catalog website (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=PCI%5CVEN_1002%23DEV_9712%20windows%2010) which showed the old 2015 driver and the new one which has been causing trouble.  This morning I looked again and the new one has gone, so it looks like Microsoft have pulled it which is good news as it means that it won't be automatically installed again.

Steve Belleguelle Behest Computer Services

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:42 AM
  • I have the same issue with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 driver.  The 2017 version will not allow projecting the screen through the HDMI.  I found yesterday that by reverting to the old driver would fix the issue.

Unfortunately without thinking I removed old versions of Windows today to free up some space so I can no longer roll back to the prior version.

Can someone tell me how to get the 2015 version?

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:15 AM
  • I can't guarantee this will work, but it won't hurt things, only land you in the same place you are already in at the worst.

First try this, as Microsoft have now removed the offending driver from their site.  We're going to delete the driver from your system and hopefully Windows will download the older driver as this is all that will be available to it.

1. Go to Device Manager and right click on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 adapter then select "Uninstall device" and tick "Delete the driver software for this device" then click "Uninstall"
    2. Restart the computer (not shutdown, but restart) and hopefully Windows will download the old driver.

If that doesn't work, you might try the following.

1. Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website page at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=PCI%5CVEN_1002%23DEV_9587%20windows%2010%2015.300.1025.0
    2. If you are running 32-bit Windows, download the smaller of the two files shown, otherwise download the larger.
    3. Create a new folder in your downloads folder called "Video driver"
    4. Double click on the CAB file you downloaded to open it and then drag its contents into the "Video driver" folder
    5. Disconnect your PC from the internet for the rest of the procedure to ensure Windows does not try to download a driver
    6. Go to Device Manager and right click on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 adapter and selecting "Uninstall device" and ticking "Delete the driver software for this device"
    7. Restart the PC
    8. Go back to Device Manager and Display Adapters, hopefully it is showing the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
    9. Right click and select Update Driver
    10. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
    11. Click "Let me pick..."
    12. If the older version of the driver is already in the list, select it here and click Next.  It probably won't be so...
    13. Click "Have disk" and then browse to the "Video driver" folder you previously created and press OK.
    14. Hopefully this will install the 2015 version of the drive and you'll be back up and running.
    15. You can now reconnect to the internet.

Please let me know if this helps.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Steve, thank you!!  The driver delete and restart procedure worked.  I downloaded the driver just in case I need it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

Gary

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:21 AM
  • Thanks Gary,

Glad to hear it worked for you, would you mind clicking on the Vote button beside my answer.

Thanks

Steve

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Microsoft have now removed the offending driver from their update server so if you remove the new driver for the graphics adapter from your machine and then allow Windows to reinstall drivers for the adapter, it will only be able to find the older, working driver and should install this.

1. Go to Device Manager and Display Adapters then right click on your adapter, e.g. ATI Radeon HD 2600, then select "Uninstall device" and tick "Delete the driver software for this device" then click "Uninstall"
    2. Restart the computer (not shutdown, but restart) and Windows should then download the old driver.

Hopefully you should now see the 2015 version of the driver if you right click on the adapter in Device Manager and select Properties and then the Driver tab.

This approach saves having to do rollbacks, system restores or disabling updates etc.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:21 PM
  • have the same issue - using HP 27xw monitor
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:27 PM
  • This was very helpful.  I spent a lot of time over the last couple of days trying to figure this out for my old HP Pavilion p6624y PC.  It uses the ATI Radeon HD 4200 display adapter.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Were you successful in getting back the 2015 version of the ATI HD Radeon 4200 display adaptor? How did you do it? I have Microsoft Basic Display driver that showed up after the Windows update last week & am struggling to get my computer screen resolution correct. Thanks.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:20 AM
  • Hi 2aces, please try the following.

1. Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website page at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=hd%204200%20windows%2010%2015.300.1025.0
    2. If you are using a laptop or an all-in-one PC you will want the Mobility driver, otherwise you probably want the one that doesn't include Mobility.
    3. If you are running 32-bit Windows, download the smaller of the two files shown for your device, otherwise download the larger.
    4. Create a new folder in your downloads folder called "Video driver"
    5. Double click on the CAB file you downloaded to open it and then drag its contents into the "Video driver" folder
    6. Go to Device Manager and Display Adapters, select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, right click and select Update Driver
    7. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. Browse to the "Video driver" folder you previously created and press OK and Next
    9. Hopefully this will install the 2015 version of the drive and you'll be back up and running.

If it says no suitable driver was found, try downloading the other driver from the Mobility/non-Mobility pair and try again.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Hello. I'm a repair man for computer. Since 7 days more than 12 customers call me beacause they have a resolution maximum 1600x1200 pixels for a large screen normaly 1366x768 or 1920x1080. The problem start with the update  "Windows update on 11/23/2017 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0)" or the update Windows 10 17.09.
    A lot of people have a processor AMD Athlon 2 X2 or X4 and a igp (integrated controller graphic card) HD Radeon 3500 / 4200 / 5000...

All can't "Rollback the old driver". Install a new driver don't work and like often, the System Restore is disable so we are in the... No solution, no work...

in french :

Bonjour, je suis dépanneur informatique. Depuis 7 jours environ, au moins 12 clients m'ont appellé car ils ont un problème de résolution d'écran arrivé soudainement. 1600x1200 pixels donc résolution 4/3 alors que leur écran est 16/9 ème large en 1366x768 ou 1920x1080 pixels. Jusque la mise à jour de Windows 10 17.09 et / ou du pilote graphique AMD Display 22.19.128.0 (voir ci-dessus), celà ne fonctionne plus.

Impossible de "Revenir à une version précédente du pilote" dans "pilote" dans les Propriétés de la carte graphique dans le Gestionnaire de périphériques. De même, impossible d'installer une nouvelle version du pilote disant que le matériel n'est pas pris en charge. Et surtout impossible de Restaurer le système car celà est déactivé comme très souvent sur Windows et on ne sait pas pourquoi depuis des années sur plein des dizaines de PC...

Bref aucune solution, les gens sont bloqués, je fais des interventions non résolues donc gratuites... Celà devient très problématique !

Microsoft / AMD merci de faire un patch, thanks for made a fix please !
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:52 AM

• Hello. I'm a repair man for computer. Since 7 days more than 12 customers call me beacause they have a resolution maximum 1600x1200 pixels for a large screen normaly 1366x768 or 1920x1080. The problem start with the update  "Windows update on 11/23/2017 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0)" or the update Windows 10 17.09.
    A lot of people have a processor AMD Athlon 2 X2 or X4 and a igp (integrated controller graphic card) HD Radeon 3500 / 4200 / 5000...

All can't "Rollback the old driver". Install a new driver don't work and like often, the System Restore is disable so we are in the... No solution, no work...

in french :

Bonjour, je suis dépanneur informatique. Depuis 7 jours environ, au moins 12 clients m'ont appelé car ils ont un problème de résolution d'écran arrivé soudainement. 1600x1200 pixels donc résolution 4/3 alors que leur écran est 16/9 ème large en 1366x768 ou 1920x1080 pixels. Jusque la mise à jour de Windows 10 17.09 et / ou du pilote graphique AMD Display 22.19.128.0 (voir ci-dessus), cela ne fonctionne plus.

Impossible de "Revenir à une version précédente du pilote" dans "pilote" dans les Propriétés de la carte graphique dans le Gestionnaire de périphériques. De même, impossible d'installer une nouvelle version du pilote disant que le matériel n'est pas pris en charge. Et surtout impossible de Restaurer le système car cela est déactivé comme très souvent sur Windows et on ne sait pas pourquoi depuis des années sur plein des dizaines de PC...

Bref aucune solution, les gens sont bloqués, je fais des interventions non résolues donc gratuites... Cela devient très problématique !

Microsoft / AMD merci de faire un patch, thanks for made a fix please !
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:58 AM
  • ATI Radeon 2400 same problem. Thanks Microsoft! 7 people unable to work till I fixed.
    Another wonderful crap loaded update. Wish I would have kept windows 7.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:08 PM
  • The 2015 display adapter magically appeared in the list for "update driver" list & I now have a useful widescreen display screen on my monitor (back to where it was before the Windows Update last week. I also went to the troubleshooter & hid the AMD driver update tab to prevent future updates on the Radeon HD 4200 display driver. Thanks for your help, Steve.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hi 2aces, I'm glad you're back up and running.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:58 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! 
    Friday, December 1, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Did that. Next day another update and the roll back driver is now GREYED OUT! Thanks again Microsoft for yet another pointless and disruptive update.........................................
    Friday, December 1, 2017 2:39 PM
  • I'll add one suggestion to Steve's - I had multiple copies of the driver installed on my machine, all from the July 2017 version.  So I did the following:

• Delete the AMD HDxxxx device, checking "Delete the driver software for this device"
    • Click "Scan for hardware changes" from the Action menu in Device Manager
    • If the AMD HDxxxx device shows up again, repeat the above
    • If an unknown MIcrosoft Basic Display Adapter shows up, then that means all the offending drivers have been removed.

Windows will then try to download the drivers again from Windows Update after about about 5-10 seconds, or you can force a driver update.

Steve seems to be right in that Microsoft pulled these bad July 2017 drivers from the site.  I haven't had to use the CAB file from the Microsoft Update site (yet...) nor have I had to hide any updates with Microsoft's tool.

Friday, December 1, 2017 4:40 PM
  • The rollback button is greyed out on my machine, too.  Use Steve's instructions to delete the device along with the driver (scan for hardware changes and repeat) until Microsoft Basic Display comes up as your adapter.  Windows Update should then use the old, working driver.
    Friday, December 1, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for the further steps Brian.

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:56 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Can you please provide instructions on how to prevent future updates.  I'm hoping MS won't do it again, but don't want to chance it...
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:44 PM
    Finally I found my PC.
    Thanks thanks thanks.
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Thank you!!! It worked for me! I was very frustrated, now I could fix it.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Sean (and others)

Before going to too much effort - I had similar problem and have just upgraded my Windows 10 (it was an option in some of the links below).  Note that my original windows 10 was an upgrade from XP.  My graphics problem was fixed upon upgrading to the latest version 1709 and build 16299.125.  Back to wide and dual screen with 1366x768 resolution. 

It looks to me that ATI have finally paid their bills and the graphics cards are now being supported again.  

Cheers

Rosco

Friday, December 22, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Same situation with an AMD Radeon 4200 card.  Tried various fixes, even bought a new graphics card.  Prior to installation, the new Windows udate (Build 16299.125) restored the 1600X900 resolution to an HP 2010i monitor, and all is fine.   In Device Manager, Graphics card is noted correctly and monitor shows correct name rather than Microsoft Basic Adapter.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Windows will automatically install driver updates by default. However, you can temporarily disable driver updates using the articles below and then restart your PC afterwards.

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Hide Windows Updates or driver updates

How To Update AMD Graphics Driver for Windows 10?

To further isolate this issue, we recommend starting the PC in safe mode and then disable the driver update. If the updated driver is still installed, you can roll back the driver while you're still in safe mode.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:09 AM