Sequecing Applications that will be Deployed to Terminal Services RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I am looking to get some information from those who sequence applications. When sequecing an application that will eventually run Terminal Services Servers, during the capture phase of sequencing the application, should we do what we normally do on a TS Server when installing Apps, i.e. change the mode of the machine the software install is being captured on for sequencing to Install Mode... if yes, how do we capture this step when we are using XP machines to capture the install process during sequencing?

Or are we okay to ignore the Install Mode step (and putting the server back into Execute mode) when trying to sequence an application that will evetually run on TS Servers.

Thanks
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:54 AM

Answers

• Change mode /install alters how an application is installed.  Your sequencer is better at doing this, and entering into install mode just uncecessarily complicates things. 

If you install on a server box, you should not enable terminal services to sequence, thus no need to change mode.  The same thing goes for sequencing on XP or other desktop OS.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 30, 2009 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ment van der PlasEditor Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

what TS (RDS) InstallMode basically does is capturing user specific data (namely CurrentUsers Registry and INI files) that are changed during installation/configuration of an application, storing it at a central location (mystic ShadowKey) and mapping it back into each user's personal locations in execution mode (well, this is the short version).

The App-V Sequencer basically does the same like InstallMode: It captures all changes made to the system.
    The App-V Client then more or less acts like the ExecutionMode: It "maps" all components to the user that is running the application on the RDS server (and on a WindowsWorkstation as well).

Usually, App-V does better then TS Install/Execution Mode,  because it doesn'n struggle on (File and Registry) time stamps.

If you'd enable InstallMode during sequencing - well, it would be require some thoughts to figure out what would happen.. Modifiying some seetings for the installer account and probably copying them to the ShadowKey of the Virtual Registry on the Sequencer. I'm not sure what happend on the client. The OS would try to copy the shadow kye from within the Virtual Registry to the Current User's key (also in the Virtual Registry). Additionaly, the App-V client would map the "key" %SFT_SID% to the same location.
    I am not sure what mechanism would happen first. While writing this I wonder if that OS ShadowKey back mapping ever would occur (because during user logon, there is no application specific ShadowKey for that app..)

Well, to make it short: DO follow Tim's advice and don not enable Terminal Services (TS/RDS role, TS in Application Execution Mode or however you call it) on the Sequencer machine.

Falko
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:58 PM

All replies

• Change mode /install alters how an application is installed.  Your sequencer is better at doing this, and entering into install mode just uncecessarily complicates things. 

If you install on a server box, you should not enable terminal services to sequence, thus no need to change mode.  The same thing goes for sequencing on XP or other desktop OS.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 30, 2009 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ment van der PlasEditor Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me... So what you are saying is regardless of whether the target application will run on Terminal Services Servers or not, omit the step of install/execute mode during the sequencing phase....?

So, when this application is eventually deployed to a Terminal Services Server, will this affect the usage of the Application? as the norm on TS Servers when installing any bit of software is to first invoke install mode and then once installed invoke execute mode, before letting users back on... just trying to ensure no mishaps happen when we start deploying sequenced apps to our TS Servers...

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

what TS (RDS) InstallMode basically does is capturing user specific data (namely CurrentUsers Registry and INI files) that are changed during installation/configuration of an application, storing it at a central location (mystic ShadowKey) and mapping it back into each user's personal locations in execution mode (well, this is the short version).

The App-V Sequencer basically does the same like InstallMode: It captures all changes made to the system.
    The App-V Client then more or less acts like the ExecutionMode: It "maps" all components to the user that is running the application on the RDS server (and on a WindowsWorkstation as well).

Usually, App-V does better then TS Install/Execution Mode,  because it doesn'n struggle on (File and Registry) time stamps.

If you'd enable InstallMode during sequencing - well, it would be require some thoughts to figure out what would happen.. Modifiying some seetings for the installer account and probably copying them to the ShadowKey of the Virtual Registry on the Sequencer. I'm not sure what happend on the client. The OS would try to copy the shadow kye from within the Virtual Registry to the Current User's key (also in the Virtual Registry). Additionaly, the App-V client would map the "key" %SFT_SID% to the same location.
    I am not sure what mechanism would happen first. While writing this I wonder if that OS ShadowKey back mapping ever would occur (because during user logon, there is no application specific ShadowKey for that app..)

Well, to make it short: DO follow Tim's advice and don not enable Terminal Services (TS/RDS role, TS in Application Execution Mode or however you call it) on the Sequencer machine.

Falko
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I think I get the idea... I will capture the installation of the application to be installed as it would normally be installed on an operating system... rather than include the step of putting the O/S into Install Mode before app installation continues. I thought this might be neccessary as the target O/S the virtualised application will run on will be on a Terminal Services Server...

Thanks
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:22 PM