dates dont automatically change when task is fixed duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two task with type fixed duration because I need to control the actual hours worked compared to the baseline hours. If i dont have fixed duration, then if i say the task is 100% complete and put 30 hours actual work, when baseline was 40, the finish date is moved back to reflect 30 hours instead of 40...and i dont want this. I want the dates to remain the same, the task to show 100% complete with 30 actual hours, 0 remaining and 40 as the baseline... using fixed duration works for this.

But the problem is, say i want to change the finish date on task 1, task 2 doesnt automatically change even though it is automatically scheduled and task 1 is the predecessor. Obviously because it's fixed duration... but i need this to be automatic because dates can change a lot and this cant be done manually.

any suggestions? Basically i want to control actual hours v baseline (without changing the dates if actual is less than planned) and at the same time be able to play with the start/finish dates and keep the automatic date changing sunsequent tasks (projects 2013)

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:24 AM

Answers

• KiwiNspain,

When you change the finish date of a fixed duration task and that task is the predecessor for other tasks, the successor tasks will also change, except for a few cases.

1. Is calculation set to automatic?

2, Is there a constraint on the successor task (e.g. must-start-on or start-no-earlier-than)?

3. Does the successor task have a non-zero percent complete?

4. Does the successor task have a date in the Actual Start field?

Any of the above will produce the issue you describe.

Hope this helps.

john
    • Marked as answer by kiwiNspain Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:42 PM

All replies

• KiwiNspain,

When you change the finish date of a fixed duration task and that task is the predecessor for other tasks, the successor tasks will also change, except for a few cases.

1. Is calculation set to automatic?

2, Is there a constraint on the successor task (e.g. must-start-on or start-no-earlier-than)?

3. Does the successor task have a non-zero percent complete?

4. Does the successor task have a date in the Actual Start field?

Any of the above will produce the issue you describe.

Hope this helps.

john
    • Marked as answer by kiwiNspain Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Hi John,

Number 3 it was! there was a % in the following task. Changing that to 0% updated the dates correctly.

thanks!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:08 PM
  • kiwiNspain,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:30 PM