none
Windows 10 1809 RSAT Tools with SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen a number of posts on this but have yet to find a true solution. With a domain joined Windows 10 1809 system managed by SCCM the RSAT tools, and in fact many optional features, will not install. Removing the SCCM client, clearing out Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate, and rebooting gets the installs to work (because the system now goes to Windows Update) but this is a lot more involved than I'd prefer desktop techs having to do (not to mention removing the SCCM client and hopefully remembering to put it back). 

I've read about and tried the Group Policy Computer\Admin Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair....select Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update....but haven't seen that work either.

Is there a fix for this available?

Thanks!

Dan Gleason

Monday, April 22, 2019 6:41 PM

All replies

• Copy the following packages from the en_windows_10_features_on_demand_part_1_version_1809_updated_sept_2018_x64_dvd_a68fa301.iso file to the distribution folder (note you can copy all, but for rsat it's better to leave out some huge files)

** more posts with the files we used will follow, I can't attach here and there is a post character limit **

EDIT

////////////////////
    Mhh ok I can't post the list here, but the biggest offenders are
    Microsoft-Windows-Holographic-Desktop-FOD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-**

and you can leave those out.
    ////////////////////

Deploy with Add-WindowsCapability and source path (powershell) - we have the files above in a subfolder packages:

$EKHSource = $PSScriptRoot + "\packages"
    Get-WindowsCapability -Online | ? {$_.Name -like "RSAT.*" -and $_.State -eq "NotPresent"} | Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Source $EKHSource

Remove:

Get-WindowsCapability -Online | ? {$_.Name -like "RSAT.*" -and $_.State -eq "Installed"} | Remove-WindowsCapability -Online

Monday, April 22, 2019 7:18 PM
  • Thanks! I know there are ways to work around this, but I'm really looking for information on a systemic fix. The group policy is supposed to accomplish this but it doesn't. If there's an additional setting that I can apply globally, or a patch from Microsoft, that would be ideal. If in the end this is an unaddressed bug (or lack of functionality) then we may open a case with MS. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something first.

Dan Gleason

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:04 PM
  • The way is to use the two optional feature DVDs for offline install content.

Or do you mean to distribute that content from WSUS?

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:43 PM
  • From what I've read, 1809 requires you to go to Windows Update. The content is not provided via WSUS or with the installation media. It CAN be gotten from Windows Update, but both SCCM & WSUS sets an update server in the registry. Those can't have the optional feature source for 1809 because it's not available to them. As I mentioned above, there IS a group policy that you can set that presumably tells the O/S to go to Windows Update to get the source for optional features. The problem is that this setting gets ignored

I would like to be able to have techs simply install components via the GUI, as they can with a system that does not have the SCCM client or WSUS group policy settings. In our environment, different users may need different optional features so installing from the GUI is the most straightforward (and quickest) way to handle this. If it's no longer doable then it is what it is, but it would be nice to get the functionality back.

Dan Gleason

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

Please check whether the Group Policy "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" is enabled. (The path: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.)

If so, change it to Not Configured.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 6:04 PM
  • We are experiencing the exact same symptoms. Tried every fix from every post to no avail. Did you ever get this resolved?

DB_03

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:15 PM
  • You can obtain the files from the Features on Demand pack for your Windows version and then  install by using the -Source parameter:

Get-WindowsCapability -Online | ? {$_.Name -like "RSAT.*" -and $_.State -eq "NotPresent"} | Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Source "Path to files here"

We were able to trim the sources by all files >100mb and it still installs successfully on 1809 LTS.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:43 PM