how to clear windows, in process to move retail windows vista license to another pc RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    i need information on how to clear the windows xp/vista pc (that using
    retail windows xp/vista license) on a previous pc, because i want to
    move the license to another pc. is that what i need to do is

format c:/q

or

fdisk /mbr

is enough?

or i should del *.* everything in windows directory? or c drive

another scenario is.

assume i want to sell a desktop pc to my customer, which installed
    with windows XP/vista retail license,
    after he bought my pc for several days, he returned the microsoft windows
    xp/vista COA retail label to me, coz he said he want to use linux.
    so, if i buy back the windows XP/vista retail COA from him with the
    orginal CD, is it still genuine and valid for me to install it into
    another pc of mine?

thank you very much of your time.

Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:42 AM

Answers

• More than anything, this (and, this answers all of your questions) depends on the specific license version used.
    If it's an OEM System Builder license:  under the terms of the OEM SB EULA, that license is tied to the system on which it was first activated, and cannot be transferred/reassigned to another machine.

For an FPP (retail) version, there's no 'revocation' procedure.  You install Windows on the new machine, and activate it.  If it refuses to activate (likely), it'll provide you with a telephone number to call.  Call, tell the CSR that the key in question is no longer in use on the original machine, be polite, and they'll give you a new activation number.  Done.
    In the case of your 'customer' scenario, I'd want to cover my a** and verify (in person, with my own eyes) that the customer really did wipe the drive, and is truly no longer running the Windows installation that I sold him/her, before providing the refund. 

Monday, October 6, 2008 3:08 AM
  •  sleepsleep wrote:

i have a little bit confuse on the OEM System Builder License,

is it only after i activated it through internet, i couldn't move it to another pc .... 

correct. 
     sleepsleep wrote:

so, is it tied after it is activated? or it is tied after you set it up?

You kinda already answered your own question there - it's tied to the machine when Windows is activated.  Now, if you allow it to activate during installation, then it's done there.  Otherwise, it's not activated (and, therefore, tied to the machine) until you activate it.

regarding the FPP retail license, we knew it could be transfer from pc to another pc,

the question i concern is,

under the scenario i gave above,

is it under my responsibility that i should make sure he wipes his drive? or it is his responsiblity?

In a perfect world, I'd call it his responsibility.  However, I'd want to cover my behind and make sure that he really did wipe it before giving the refund.  If I did not, I'd probably get bit in said behind later on.

and does microsoft somehow provide the method/website to wipe hard disk drive that contained windows OS retail license? so that we could legally transfer the license to another pc?
    No,  because it's not necessary.  There are many things out there (DBaN, your Windows installation disc, etc) that are more than capable of fully wiping a hard drive.  As for transferring a retail license to another machine, I've already answered that.  Smile

Monday, October 6, 2008 12:26 PM

All replies

• More than anything, this (and, this answers all of your questions) depends on the specific license version used.
    If it's an OEM System Builder license:  under the terms of the OEM SB EULA, that license is tied to the system on which it was first activated, and cannot be transferred/reassigned to another machine.

For an FPP (retail) version, there's no 'revocation' procedure.  You install Windows on the new machine, and activate it.  If it refuses to activate (likely), it'll provide you with a telephone number to call.  Call, tell the CSR that the key in question is no longer in use on the original machine, be polite, and they'll give you a new activation number.  Done.
    In the case of your 'customer' scenario, I'd want to cover my a** and verify (in person, with my own eyes) that the customer really did wipe the drive, and is truly no longer running the Windows installation that I sold him/her, before providing the refund. 

Monday, October 6, 2008 3:08 AM
  • thanks for the reply,

is it only after i activated it through internet, i couldn't move it to another pc, or, 

once i installed/set it up on a pc, i couldn't move it to another pc even though i haven't activated it online?

quote : 

that license is tied to the system on which it was first activated

regarding the FPP retail license, we knew it could be transfer from pc to another pc,

is it under my responsibility that i should make sure he wipes his drive? or it is his responsiblity?

and does microsoft somehow provide the method/website to wipe hard disk drive that contained windows OS retail license? so that we could legally transfer the license to another pc?

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:40 AM
  •  sleepsleep wrote:

is it only after i activated it through internet, i couldn't move it to another pc .... 

correct. 
     sleepsleep wrote:

You kinda already answered your own question there - it's tied to the machine when Windows is activated.  Now, if you allow it to activate during installation, then it's done there.  Otherwise, it's not activated (and, therefore, tied to the machine) until you activate it.

In a perfect world, I'd call it his responsibility.  However, I'd want to cover my behind and make sure that he really did wipe it before giving the refund.  If I did not, I'd probably get bit in said behind later on.

No,  because it's not necessary.  There are many things out there (DBaN, your Windows installation disc, etc) that are more than capable of fully wiping a hard drive.  As for transferring a retail license to another machine, I've already answered that.  Smile

Monday, October 6, 2008 12:26 PM