Upgrading hardware/Software Advice. RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone,

First off I want to start with apologizing for my ignorance on the subject.  I know enough to maybe just get by. We are currently running Windows 2003 R2 Server. With have total of 9 servers running a little bit of everything.  I’am looking for some advice on upgrading our current network infrastructure. From a Windows 2003 to 2008 R2. We have already purchased the 2008 R2 server Enterprise.  We will also be upgrading all our hardware from running 9 servers to 1 server if possible.  This will lower our energy costs. This is why I’m here, looking for advice, tips, suggestions or any help would be greatly appreciated. Our Current:
    1. < 100 users at max load.
    2. < 100 Client machines at max load.
    3. 2 V-lans
    4. 2 X 48port Cisco Swtich’s
    5. 4 Access points for Bar scanning in ware house.
    6. Server Rolls
      1. DC (1 Forest)
      2. DNS
      3.  DHCP
      4. SQL 2008 ( 2 Clusters – 1 for Sage, 1 for Testing)
      5. WebServer (Apache – used for Sage.  Will Sage run on IIS?)

1. We just replaced our Exchange Server to Exchange Online with Microsoft Online Services.
      1. AD Synchronization
      2. 1 Domain Forest
      3. 68 Users ( this can be upgraded on the fly)
      4. Sharepoint Online
      5. Lync Online
    2. We also outsource our backup solutions.

Can All this be ran on a signal Server running hyper –v? I know is not best practice to run anything on the DC.  We are currently looking at the new HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server series  

Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Chris

Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:58 PM

Answers

• I would very strongly advise against running all this on one server. If you were going to migrate properly you would have a virtual environment running two physical hosts with as many virtual machines as you need. Running on one server will effectively bring down your network until the server is repaired/replaced which can take days depending on your support/supply agreements.

Have you thought about how you will implement two VLANs over two switches with one physical server? Sure it's do-able but you'd need to have multiple NIC's and VLAN tagging etc. Seems a bit messy.

Honestly this is a job for someone with migration experience. If I were you I wouldn't even consider progressing with this work until you know exactly what you're doing and what the requirements of the business are in terms of maximum downtime etc.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:34 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 12:37 AM