none
MA rules extension debugging not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • We recently moved FIM 2010 R2 development from one server to another.  On the old server, I could attach my VS2010 Studio process to miiserver.exe, set breakpoints and be in business.  On the new server, I set the breakpoint and attach to miiserver.exe, but the breakpoints are never hit.

    • MAs are not running in separate processes
    • I am not getting the "The breakpoint will not currently be hit" warning.
    • The dlls and program debug database files are being created in "...\Synchronization Service\Extensions"
    • The dlls are being used by FIM: I added a dummy value to a multivalued attribute for export in MapAttributesForExport(), and that dummy value appears when I generate a full sync preview
    • If I insert "System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break();" in my code and generate a preview, the synchronization service stops and I have to restart it with Server Manager

    I'm an experienced programmer, but a relatively novice .NET programmer and not a Windows system administrator.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!


    • Edited by Les LaCroix Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:38 PM

Answers

  • I had a feeling it was going to be a "newbie" problem.

    It turns out that the wrong .NET runtime version was being used in the Attach to Process dialog: instead of "Automatically [...]" or "Managed (4.0)", only "Managed (2.0)" was selected.  If I'd ever had to tweak that in the other environment, it would have been eight months ago.  I switched to Automatic and now debugging works.

    Thanks to Matt and Glenn for the excellent suggestions anyway!

    • Marked as answer by Les LaCroix Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:48 PM

All replies

  • Les,

    Are you using different instance of VS 2010 on the new server? If so, I thought there was a previous bug with VS 2010 involving breakpoints not being hit. Install SP1 for VS 2010 if you don't already have it, I believe this fixed it for me previously.

    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Which version of R2? The latest hotfixes seem to run management agents using dllhost.exe - try attaching to one of these processes instead.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:59 AM
  • Both servers are running the same version of VS 2010:

    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

    Good idea to check, though.  Also, I am running VS 2010 as Administrator in both environments.

    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:30 PM
  • I had a feeling it was going to be a "newbie" problem.

    It turns out that the wrong .NET runtime version was being used in the Attach to Process dialog: instead of "Automatically [...]" or "Managed (4.0)", only "Managed (2.0)" was selected.  If I'd ever had to tweak that in the other environment, it would have been eight months ago.  I switched to Automatic and now debugging works.

    Thanks to Matt and Glenn for the excellent suggestions anyway!

    • Marked as answer by Les LaCroix Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:48 PM