none
Upgrade to Windows 10 with MDT 2013 (Update 1) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I followed this article in order to create TS to upgrade OS to Windows 10 with MDT:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt426643(v=vs.85).aspx

Environment:

PC: VM (Hyper-V)

However, when I run Litetouch.vbs deployment starts (Running action: Upgrade Windows) but after few minutes also stops without any error. In logs I can see this:

<![LOG[Upgrading from \\MDT-TEST\Windows10Upgrade$\Operating Systems\W10EX64RTM\setup.exe using command: "\\MDT-TEST\Windows10Upgrade$\Operating Systems\W10EX64RTM\setup.exe" /auto Upgrade /Quiet /NoReboot /PostOobe C:\MININT\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd /PostRollback C:\MININT\Scripts\SetupRollback.cmd /DynamicUpdate Disable /ImageIndex 1]LOG]!><time="14:13:51.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[About to run command: "\\MDT-TEST\Windows10Upgrade$\Operating Systems\W10EX64RTM\setup.exe" /auto Upgrade /Quiet /NoReboot /PostOobe C:\MININT\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd /PostRollback C:\MININT\Scripts\SetupRollback.cmd /DynamicUpdate Disable /ImageIndex 1]LOG]!><time="14:13:51.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Command has been started (process ID 5680)]LOG]!><time="14:13:51.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 0 minutes (process ID 5680)]LOG]!><time="14:13:52.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Return code from command = -1047526904]LOG]!><time="14:15:58.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Setup failed to upgrade OS from  \\MDT-TEST\Windows10Upgrade$\Operating Systems\W10EX64RTM\setup.exe, rc = -1047526904]LOG]!><time="14:15:58.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Requesting reboot for setup.exe to complete Upgrade action]LOG]!><time="14:15:58.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Property SMSTSRebootRequested is now = true]LOG]!><time="14:15:58.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LTIApply, rc = -1047526904  0xC1900208]LOG]!><time="14:15:58.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LTIApply" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Command completed, return code = -2147467259]LOG]!><time="14:15:59.000+000" date="08-24-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

I manually ran Windows 10 setup.exe from Operating System folder in Deployment Share and OS was installed properly. 

Kind Regards,

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:24 PM

Answers

• The commandline parameter:

WindowsUpgradeAdditionalOptions=/compat IgnoreWarning

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

I should have said add this to your customsettings.ini

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

• Proposed as answer by Milkientia Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by kors123 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:56 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Hi

Yes you need to ensure you are using MDT 2013 Update 1 (Build 8298) they re-released it with this system license violation fix. it is only actually like 1 or 2 lines in a vbs file that can be edited but best to get the MDT released build, it will fix it properly.

Also you shouldnt need to specify any product during the upgrade, if you want to qualify for the free upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 you just need to do an in-place upgrade with no key, the previous license gets enrolled into the windows 10 install. make sure your original OS is activated before you upgrade or it wont activate 10

Steve

• Marked as answer by kors123 Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have done the exact same thing as you reading from the exact same source article and i have this same problem, did you ever find any answer to this? I have done quite a lot with MDT before and i never got stuck this bad, it's such a simple upgrade task sequence!

thanks

Steve

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Can you post the logs?  Probably panther and bdd

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Hello,

right i think this should work, don't use one drive much. http://1drv.ms/1ictdWd

the logs will reference the enterprise evaluation but i have only tried that this morning to see if it was an issue with the image, i was previously trying the professional edition and that didnt work either.

many thanks

Steve

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:47 AM
  • I might possibly have found a clue as to perhaps why this is stalling.

the TS seems to pass a list of parameters to the setup.exe such as /auto upgrade /quiet /noreboot etc...

well i just ran this command from the client so i could see what was going on

"\\deployserv\windows10$\Operating Systems\Windows 10 Pro x64\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /dynamicupdate disable /imageindex 1

and it gets stuck on the screen "what needs your attention" simply stating that continuing with the installation of windows will change your display language, to change it back you'll need to reinstall the language pack. then there is an OK button.... is there any way to silently skip past this dialog box? maybe this why its getting stuck....

Steve

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:08 PM
  • There is the expectation of same language to same language.  This is an unintended behavior though. Can you file a Connect bug?

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:44 PM
  • I dont even know why that message appears though because my Windows 7 Pro is configured with UK settings and all display and keyboard and language settings are all UK, even added to new accounts and welcome screen and the system locale, i'm upgrading to the Windows 10 UK English version.

did you get a chance to look at the log files?? what errors did they indicate?

thanks

Steve

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:51 AM
  • There should be a command line parameter that handles that. I don't know what it is though. 

As far as information gathered from the logs...  I am unable to determine anything useful (I haven't found any information on the specific Windows 10 error code).

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:15 PM

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the command line, so i pass that whole line against the setup.exe? so...

setup.exe WindowsUpgradeAdditionalOptions=/compat IgnoreWarning (and whatever other params i want)?

assuming this is correct (i havent tested it yet) how can i get MDT to handle this, which script is the one responsible for doing the actual upgrade bit - I assume the command line would be shown in that script for me to edit? it would also be useful to determine this so i can force a machine to auto-reboot since i will kick this process off at the end of the day, its default is not to restart. i dont want users coming in the next morning then face at least an hours upgrade process until they can start working.

Steve

• Edited by Milkientia Friday, September 11, 2015 7:35 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 7:33 AM

I should have said add this to your customsettings.ini

• Proposed as answer by Milkientia Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by kors123 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:56 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

where on earth did you pull that little setting from? I wonder what other hidden gems can be put into the customsettings.ini file, do you have a full reference for where you got that from?

i solved this initially by downloading the en-US version and deploying that, it worked fine but i ran into license violation issues (was testing in a VM but it was activated using a Windows 7 retail key and after the upgrade it said it was activated but once updates went on and restarted it caused a blue screen).

the second method was to deploy the en-GB version using your suggested parameter and it worked. I am still testing this at the moment but i gave up on the VM method and am doing this on a physical Dell Optiplex 7020 Windows 8.1 Pro machine. I have so far got the following issues:

1. At the finalising stage of the upgrade it states something along the lines of "this is taking longer than expected but it should be ready soon" it hangs on this for ages then eventually gives me a blank screen with the mouse cursor. I shut it down and turn it back on again, attempt to log in and i get the blank screen again but eventually it goes away and i can see the desktop
    2. Once i log in the MDT process continues on its final pages with a message of "you must be running with administrator priviledges, the deployment cannot proceed" this leaves the MININT and _SMSTaskSequence folders on the C drive. however, this may have possibly been because I started the process using a domain admin account and when i logged back in i used the local admin account (will test again later)
    3. Windows 10 shows as activated just as I expected it should, inplace upgrade from 8.1 pro to 10 pro... i run the updates and then i get the same blue screen as i did in the VM - SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION. I notice several others getting this same issue on the comments of https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt426643%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I think there's a reference to a Connect bug there somewhere so it looks like it's been filed as a bug, but only a handful of people have had this. this brings to me another question, once bugs are fixed for MDT 2013 Update 1 do you think they will release Update 2 or will it likely be a redownload of Update 1 which contains these kind of fixes?

thanks

Steve

Monday, September 14, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Every parsed variable is in ZTIGather.xml (unless you define a custom variable).  Also if you download the documentation from 2013 most of the properties.

Monday, September 14, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Ty's solution worked for me.

I have downloaded GB version of Windows 10 and upgrade now works without 

in customsettings.ini. 

However what I noticed is that after upgrade Windows is not activated. Not sure why as I specified product key. After first reboot I also get BSOD SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION.

Is there any solution for this BSOD?

Thanks,
    Rok

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Hi

Yes you need to ensure you are using MDT 2013 Update 1 (Build 8298) they re-released it with this system license violation fix. it is only actually like 1 or 2 lines in a vbs file that can be edited but best to get the MDT released build, it will fix it properly.

Also you shouldnt need to specify any product during the upgrade, if you want to qualify for the free upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 you just need to do an in-place upgrade with no key, the previous license gets enrolled into the windows 10 install. make sure your original OS is activated before you upgrade or it wont activate 10

Steve

• Marked as answer by kors123 Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:43 PM
  • There might be a small bug (Upgrade TS):

If skip TS in customsettings is set up TS ask you from computer and backup details etc.

SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceID=TS1

However if skip TS is not set up you simply click next on TS page and TS starts immediately - you don't need to provide any computer or backup details.

Thanks

Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:51 AM