vista service pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

• after downloading vista service pack 1, I now cannot use my control panel.  everytime I click the control panel it takes me internet explorer inwich explorer says explorer not responding.  I cannot use my control panel now.  the second problem I had was I no longer had sound I have Sigma Tel C Major.  I tried to reinstall the sound program and it told me access denied.  How do I get around these 2 problems?  I am about to pull my hair out.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:52 AM

Answers

• thanks for the help.  I just completely uninstalled the service pack and now all is well.  I will try it again later.  I was really frustrated with the service pack and it slowed my computer down.  Ill try again at a lter date.
    Bonnie sue
    Friday, March 28, 2008 3:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

To improve efficiency and avoid confusion, I suggest focusing on the Control Panel issue first.

First please test the issue in Safe Mode. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, let’s perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

If the issue also occurs in Safe Mode, the issue can be caused by the incorrect installation of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Please perform a System Restore to restore the system to a state before SP1 is installed.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:33 AM
  • thanks for the help.  I just completely uninstalled the service pack and now all is well.  I will try it again later.  I was really frustrated with the service pack and it slowed my computer down.  Ill try again at a lter date.
    Bonnie sue
    Friday, March 28, 2008 3:04 AM