none
Gantt Chart on the Web Side RRS feed

• Question

• I have been requested to update Project Plans.  I am a SQL Server Database Administrator.  I hope I am asking my question in the correct forum.  I am new to Microsoft Project.

When you open up the mpp file on my desktop, my manager has me changing the Gantt Chart.  He has me on the right hand side where the Gantt Chart resides right clicking on the header and bring up the Timescale.  He has me changing the Timescale Option Show to Three Tiers and has me changing the Top Tier to Years, the Middle Tier to Quarters, and the Bottom Tier to Months.  He also has me changing the Label to what he wants and the Align to Center.  After I make all the required changes that he wants he has me click on the Import Project to Enterprise button and import the project plan to the web server.  This is all working.

However, when you go into the web server side to look at the project plan it still shows the timescale option as two tiers.  The top being the day such as 3/3/2013 and the bottom tier being S M T W T F S.  Why when you import it doesn't it import what I had altered?  And once it in on the web side can you change it to be  3 tier as I described above?

lcerni

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:16 PM

Answers

• Icerni --

When you look at the project on the web, in what is called Project Web App (PWA), you will not see the timescale configured the way you set it up in Microsoft Project.  This is because you cannot configure the timescale for projects shown in PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by lcerni Monday, November 18, 2013 3:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The changes you introduced are related to the View object. Some views are stored with the project, in a Server environment some view (so called Enterprise Views) are dictated by the model on the server and they can only be changed while you work but once they are published on the server, your changes disappear.

What you can do to please the boss is before you change, View Ribbon, Other Views, More views, Copy, give a name, apply.

The new view then isn't an Enterprise view and when you modify it, it will be saved with the file and not be reset by Server.

Greetings,

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Icerni --

When you look at the project on the web, in what is called Project Web App (PWA), you will not see the timescale configured the way you set it up in Microsoft Project.  This is because you cannot configure the timescale for projects shown in PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by lcerni Monday, November 18, 2013 3:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Icerni,

Others have explained below that you should not expect the Gantt chart in PWA to reflect the Timescale that you set in Project Pro's Gantt chart.

However, this still leaves you with the problem of supplying the boss with a suitable Gantt chart (i.e. suitable to the boss--with years, quarters, months as the timescale.  Unfortunately, options are pretty limited.

I have faced this problem before--where its easy to produce the exact Gantt chart view needed in Project Pro but not possible to duplicate it in PWA.  Basically--you have to work with what you have.  Use that Project Pro view--and figure out a way to deliver it to the person who needs it (i.e. a person who may not have a Project Pro license). 

A hard copy may suffice for some.  For others, a .pdf printout of the Project Pro Gantt chart may work nicely.  The .pdf copy can be emailed--or uploaded to the Document Library on the Project Site.  Not the optimum solution and will require some maintenance on your part.  But--the boss gets the data in the form that is needed!  Remember Rule #1: "Keep the boss happy".

• Edited by Edward Hanna Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:25 PM Remove signature
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:24 PM