none
Upgrade of Hyper-v cluster - do i have to redo dpm protection from scratch? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I had a 2012 Hyper-v cluster which i upgraded to 2012 R2. As part of this you need to make a new cluster and then migrate the VM's across. 

This obviously breaks DPM protection as the VM's it was protecting are listed as oldcluster\vmname. Is there anyway to avoid starting the protection from scratch? I tried stopping protection on the VM and leaving the replica on disk and then re-adding it, but it sees it as a new protection so creates a new replica.

We have TB's of data and while this is ok for the primary DPM site, we have a secondary DPM protection site for disaster recovery which is on a much slower link, which will takes weeks to resync.

is there a way to avoid having to resync all the data again that it already has?

thanks

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can enable DPM 2012 Live Migration Tracking and use System Center Virtual Machine manager (VMM) to migrate the guests to the new cluster. DPM will follow the guests and continue protection.

Protecting Hyper-V machines using Live Migration

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 23, 2014 11:23 PM