Uniquely Identify System RRS feed

• Question

• I need to uniquely identify the system the user is running on.  Specifically, I'm after the BIOS serial number (knowing that, as the claims go, sometimes BIOS doesn't store one).  I followed the ridiculously complex WMI methodology (using assembly language) only to find out that my motherboard is uniquely identified with the string "Motherboard," and my BIOS has all blanks for a serial number.  This, of course, is incorrect on both counts, which is exactly what was expected.  So I moved to creating a driver to enter ring 0 and retrieve this information.  The driver will not load dynamically.  It wants certification under Vista.  The DDK mysteriously does not have makecert.exe.  Reinstalling it with tools checked still produced no makecert.exe.  Now, barring any better solution, I'm going to enable pagefile.sys, force the page file to write, hit the disk with low level disk access, modify the page file inside a driver, and hack my way into ring 0 where life becomes sane again and I don't need megabytes of code and years of training just to read 32 bytes of data out of the BIOS.  The problem with this security craze that endlessly and exponentially increases in depth and complexity is that it's very much like gun control laws: the only effect it has is to make life impossible for the legitimate developer and user.  Spyware marches right around it on nearly every site on the web just as it always has.  Gigabytes of wasted RAM and disk space and years of wasted time all had zero impact on the problem they were trying to solve, and only made life impossible for legitimate apps and legitimate users.  Whatever the case, if somebody has a sane way of retrieving the actual BIOS serial number, I'm all ears, otherwise I have to use the back door into ring 0 where I will probably handle the entire anti-piracy process for my app since I went to the trouble of getting in there.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to script center:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads 

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, please check if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/558124 is helpful.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:00 AM