none
MDT and WDS Network Share Credentials Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I currently have a WDS server pushing out a boot.wim file from MDT. I've specified in the customsettings.ini file on the MDT computer the DeployRoot, UserID and Domain. I am also skipping the welcome screen. I have installed the correct network drives into the .wim image.

When I arrive at the User Credentials screen during the MDT install, as expected the UserID and Domain are filled in and the password is blank. When I enter the password, I receive the message "Invalid credentials: The network name cannot be found." When I then enter some invalid credentials (e.g. just add a load of random characters to the password) I get "Invalid credentials: Access is denied." I'm not sure why this is - surely if it can tell me my credentials are invalid it can find the network share? When I type in the correct credentials for another user who isn't authorized to access the network share, I get the access denied error.

I open command prompt at this stage in the installation and use notepad to navigate to the share. After entering exactly the same details (checked by two people) I can open and navigate around the share as expected. I have tried looking at the X:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS folder but it does not exist (X:\MININT does not exist). 

I have verified that the bootstrap.ini in X:\ contains the correct network share which I can subsequently access. I have deleted the boot.wim from WDS, updated the share in MDT and added it again to WDS - same problem. 

What’s going on here, can anyone provide any advice?

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:09 AM

All replies

• Can you show us your customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini (with any sensitive info obscured)?
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:38 PM
  • There is some confusion here.

1. You mention that you placed the DepoyRoot, UserId, and UserDomain values in the cs.ini file on the MDT server. This is strange, since the values should go in the boostrap.ini file if you need these present when you login to the machine.

2. As for the "network name cannot be found" it could be some WINS, or DNS problems, try adding the FQDN in the bootstrap.ini file like DeployRoot=\\server.domain.com\deploymentshare$

If you can enter in you credentials in from the command line using the net.exe use \\server.domain.com\deploymentshare$ /u:domain\user * then these credentials should also work in the MDT UI.

I have used old/bad litetouchPE_xx.wim files and forgot to update the settings before.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:10 PM