PC Restarts by Itself RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i dont know why but my computer is re- starting itself all the time, ill walk away from the computer and come back and the start up is back to log on again, at first i thought that it might have been windows updates buts its happening too often now for that to be the problem... please can someone help as i have no idea on what to do. thank u. ang 
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:13 PM Edit title to reflect question
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:13 PM Moved to more appropriate forum (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:37 AM

Answers

• There are several different reasons that can make a computer to reboot by itself: a virus, a bugcheck error, overheating or extreme overlock.
    I suggest you to perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan of your system; then check the Windows "System" log in the Event Viewer to see if there's any record related to this strange behaviour.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:36 PM
  • I would test the memory.

To run the Memory Diagnostics Tool manually

If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

1. Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.Administrator permission requiredIf you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Choose when to run the tool.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, June 25, 2012 7:25 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please also test the issue in Safe Mode.

Regards.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:20 AM

All replies

• There are several different reasons that can make a computer to reboot by itself: a virus, a bugcheck error, overheating or extreme overlock.
    I suggest you to perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan of your system; then check the Windows "System" log in the Event Viewer to see if there's any record related to this strange behaviour.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:36 PM
  • I would test the memory.

To run the Memory Diagnostics Tool manually

If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

1. Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.Administrator permission requiredIf you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Choose when to run the tool.

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please also test the issue in Safe Mode.

Regards.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:20 AM