none
How to enable Enterprise Mode in MS Edge via registry RRS feed

• Question

• I can't use GP to enable Enterprise Mode in MS Edge as we have old AD (not sure if this can be fixed by adding some admx). 2008 Server (not even R2).

I have already enabled Enterprise Mode for IE11 via registry and it works fine on Windows 10. I have found an article (updated a month ago). Which mentions HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main\EnterpriseMode registry to enable it in Edge. But i don't have such registry on 1607 build. The article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/microsoft-edge/emie-to-improve-compatibility

So, has this registry moved somewhere else, or maybe it was removed recently? Is there any other way to enable EM for Edge other than GP?

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Wrootw,

all keys under the Policies Node are dynamic.... that is, until you create a sub node manually or change a GPO setting, the keys and values won't exist in the registry....rather than enumerating ALL of the sub keys under Policy, software will just enumerate and process those keys that already exist. You can test your implementation by using the procmon.exe tool to monitor registry reads/writes when a web browser is started. (search for sysinternals)

so open regedit,

create the new Key "Microsoft" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies

then create "MicrosoftEdge", then "Main", then "EnterpriseMode" and then finally add a value for "SiteList" (REG_SZ) and enter the path to your sitelists xml file.

Once you have done that on your dev machine export the reg key to a reg file so you can deploy it to other clients/or create a power script to do the same.

You should also (for IE11) follow the steps at https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11

Regards.

Rob^_^

If you have done everything correctly and you have installed the latest updates for EMSL you should be able to view your browsers' compatibility lists from the about:compat page in both IE11 and Edge.
    • Edited by 网游 - wang'you Friday, December 23, 2016 1:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, December 23, 2016 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by wrootw Friday, December 23, 2016 9:19 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Wrootw,

all keys under the Policies Node are dynamic.... that is, until you create a sub node manually or change a GPO setting, the keys and values won't exist in the registry....rather than enumerating ALL of the sub keys under Policy, software will just enumerate and process those keys that already exist. You can test your implementation by using the procmon.exe tool to monitor registry reads/writes when a web browser is started. (search for sysinternals)

so open regedit,

create the new Key "Microsoft" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies

then create "MicrosoftEdge", then "Main", then "EnterpriseMode" and then finally add a value for "SiteList" (REG_SZ) and enter the path to your sitelists xml file.

Once you have done that on your dev machine export the reg key to a reg file so you can deploy it to other clients/or create a power script to do the same.

You should also (for IE11) follow the steps at https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11

Regards.

Rob^_^

If you have done everything correctly and you have installed the latest updates for EMSL you should be able to view your browsers' compatibility lists from the about:compat page in both IE11 and Edge.
    • Edited by 网游 - wang'you Friday, December 23, 2016 1:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, December 23, 2016 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by wrootw Friday, December 23, 2016 9:19 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Thanks. I now remember, that i had to create that registry when i was doing same thing for IE11 last year. It was probably better explained in that doc that i used. This one has bad wording implying that the registry already exist.
    Friday, December 23, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

yes, I read the link, then had to put on someone else's shoes.... the instructions don't quite spell out that you have to Create the whole key path... I trust your good to go. Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, December 23, 2016 8:18 PM