Icons Turn Black - Error: "Contains no icons" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running Vista Ultimate and I am having problems off and on with icons turning black (some on the desktop, some in start, some install EXEs, randomly on the PC).  The icons are still shaped as they should be but some of the icons are showing up black.  I first noticed this after I installed Vista SP1, however I removed it and all of the icons are back to the way they were.  Now looking through some of the start menu folders I see that the icons are indeed turning black again.  The same thing is happening on my desktop - this is also for programs like iTunes and AnyDVD, legit software that had icons before.  If I right click the file and attempt to change the icon, I get an error stating that the file "Contains no icons" but it sure had icons a few hours ago!

I have reinstalled some of the programs, but it appears that Vista does not like the type of icons stored in the EXEs.  I am a computer professional so I have done as much trouble shooting as I am capable of at this point.  I have confirmed that all of my drivers are up to date, and with the exception of SP1, Vista Ultimate is fully up to date.

I look forward to the replies!

Thanks,
    Brian
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian

First, have you ever used any utility or registry edits to remove the shortcut arrow overlay in Vista. If so, make sure that utility is uninstalled or the registry edit is removed.

Open Windows Explorer and go to Organize/Folder Options/View Tab. Place a check mark in the 'Show Hidden files and folders' box. Remove the check mark from 'Hide extensions for known file types' and 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Next, go to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local. Locate the IconCache.db file. Right click the file and select Delete. Reboot the computer.

This will refresh the icon cache for the system and should solve the problem.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Sunday, July 6, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I tried your solution and it didn't work for me.

There was one exception, I didn't delete the IconCache.db file. Instead I renamed the file extention to .txt  

Only a few of the icons were missing at first, now, after several reboots, about 90% of them are missing. I thought I had it licked at one point. I went into display setting and set the color to 16bit from 32bit.

Do you think it operator error or a bug we picked up?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi

Do you have a product called UltraVNC installed? If you do, check the following thread.

UltraVNC: View topic - Mirror Driver causing black icons in Vista [Known issue]:
    http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?p=53694

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:38 PM