none
DPM 2010 SQL Self Service Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I tryed to configure self service recovery for SQL Server with the wizzard. In the window "specify recovery items", I can only add "standalone" SQL-Server instances like "SQLGDWT08". When I try to add a clustered SQL instance like "SQLGDWT50\P50" or "SQLGDWT50\P50.CL3SQLSVC.MyDomain" I get the error "the specified SQL instance is either invalid or cannot be found (ID:32608). How can I add a clustered SQL instance to my role?
    Thanks.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Skyhi,

Does your cluster network name contains a "\"?

Anyway

Here is an example of my protection group as seem on my DPM 2010 Administrator Console:

Protection Group: SQL

Cluster Network Name: WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\master SQLDATA OK

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\model SQLDATA OK

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\msdb SQLDATA OK

In SSRT under Specify Recovery Items, I typed in:

SQL Server Instance Database Name

WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL\SQLINSTANCE master

Under Specify Recovery Target Locations (In this example I want to restore to the same clustered SQL Instance) I typed in:

WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL\WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:40 AM

All replies

• I am having the same issue with a clustered SQL Server Instance.  I have tried the FQDN, the Cluster Name, the FQDN and Port #, the shortname, adding the \MSSQLSERVER ... nothing works...

What is the supported method to configure SSRT for Clustered SQL Server Instances that are not Named instances.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I noticed that if I specify the database, then it will not error.  I was using the same SQL Server Instance name that shows in the protection group details and provided a single database name.   Using blank for the database name errors with the same error code as above.

Is there a known bug with the SSRT and SQL Clusters?  Is there a hotfix for the issue?  I can't imagine trying to manage individual databases when I need to provide access to restore all 200 of them.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

To add a database on a  clustered SQL instance, please specify the database/instance in the following manner:

In the Self Service Recovery wizard, you need to provide the complete FQDN of the Resource group\SQLVirtualName\SQLInstance. For Eg: SQL Server Resource.temp.foo.com\ sqlcl1n1\sqlintance

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

To add a database on a  clustered SQL instance, please specify the database/instance in the following manner:

In the Self Service Recovery wizard, you need to provide the complete FQDN of the Resource group\SQLVirtualName\SQLInstance. For Eg: SQL Server Resource.temp.foo.com\ sqlcl1n1\sqlintance

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm not lucky with our SQL-Cluster name/instance in the DPM SQL Self Service Wizard:

In the DPM Console the names are:
    Cluster Network Name: SQLSRV50\P50.cl3sql.domain.int
    Database Name: SQLSRV50\P50\DBname

When I type "SQLSVR50.internal.loc\cl3sql\P50" in the Self Service Wizard, the DPM returns the error "The specified SQL instance .... is invalid or cannot be found (ID 32608). You suggested "Resource.temp.foo.com\ sqlcl1n1\sqlintance - what's the resource.temp. in my example? And is the "sqlcl1n1" the physical SQL Cluster node? Thank you.

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi Skyhi,

Does your cluster network name contains a "\"?

Anyway

Here is an example of my protection group as seem on my DPM 2010 Administrator Console:

Protection Group: SQL

Cluster Network Name: WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\master SQLDATA OK

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\model SQLDATA OK

WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE\msdb SQLDATA OK

In SSRT under Specify Recovery Items, I typed in:

SQL Server Instance Database Name

WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL\SQLINSTANCE master

Under Specify Recovery Target Locations (In this example I want to restore to the same clustered SQL Instance) I typed in:

WILSON-SQLCLUS1.WILSON-CLUS.WSOUZA.LOCAL\WILSON-SQLCLUS1\SQLINSTANCE

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Hi
    Thank you for your inputs.
    Yes, "my" cluster network names contains a "\". I don't know why or how the SQL-Admins deploy such a name.
    The cluster network name is not a valid DNS name - thats now my problem.
    To create a DPM Protection Group, the "\" in the names are no problem - everything works fine (backups and restores).
    But the "SQL Self  Service Wizard" don't like the backslashes in the names.
    Shit happens....

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi SKyhi

Hummm.... How come a network name was created with a "\"?

If this is a Windows 2008 R2 Cluster, run the following PowerShell command (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Windows PowerShell Modules)

Get-ClusterResource | ? { $_.resourcetype -like 'Network Name'} | ft name, resourcetype

Or the command below from CMD.EXE

cluster res | find /i "network name"

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Hi Skyhi :)

I don't have a DPM setup to test and verify but accoriding to Wilson's advice you would neet to type the following in the self service wizard:

I'm taking your names as listed here:

In the DPM Console the names are:
    Cluster Network Name: SQLSRV50\P50.cl3sql.domain.int
    Database Name: SQLSRV50\P50\DBname

SQLSRV50=virtual network name for clustered SQL Server instance

P50=sql server instance name

CL3SQL=virtual network name for Windows Failover cluster

>> recovery target location=SQLSRV50.CL3SQL.domain.int\SQLSRV50\P50

does this work?

Thanks,

Roger

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi Roger

Thanks for your Input - but non DNS-Names in the Cluster-Ressource Names are not working with the DPM Self Service Recovery for SQL Admins.
    In our case the ressource name was SQLxxxx53\I53 - and this is not a valid DNS Name.

For testing, we have renamed one of our cluster-ressources and now it works:

SQL Server Instance: SQLxxxx53-I53.cl3sqlxxx.domain.int\SQLxxxx53\I53
    Database Name      : <All databases under this instance>

Recovery Target Location:
    SQL Server Instance: SQLxxxx53-I53.cl3sqlxxx.domain.int\SQLxxxx53\I53

Thanks all for support.

skyhi

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:38 AM