Windows Server Backup: Incremental Backup not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi *,

on my Windows Server 2016 TP5 system I am not able to configure incremental backups with Windows Server Backup. I have tried both 'Faster Backup Performance' and 'Custom' but all backups are done as full backups. Destination is a local disk dedicated to backup.

Is there anything I might be missing? Incremental backups work quite well with Windows Server 2012 R2.

/Klaus

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi *,

found it out! I tried ReFS to store all my VHDX files since it was the recommended file system but I did not find any information that ReFS cannot do incremental backups.

I reformatted to NTFS and incremental backups are working again.

/Klaus

• Marked as answer by Mary Dong Monday, July 18, 2016 8:41 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, server 2016 hasn't removed the features. (Or I could only say I didn't find that).

Could you please check if you do the following configuration?

The following conditions will trigger a full backup if this is configured:

1. Backup on the target is deleted/not present.
    2. Source volume VSS snapshot is deleted, from which the last backup was taken, this can happen if the diff area on the source volume was reset, or high data churn happen causing the older shadow copy to be claimed.
    3. 14 days have passed or 6 incremental backups have happened since the last full backup.
    4. Churn on the backup source is high (more than 50%)

Decision to do full vs incremental is a run-time decision that windows backups takes. If all the conditions necessary for an incremental backup are not met, a full backup is taken even if incremental backup settings are set.

You might take a thread disuccsed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7820edc7-18ef-4f6e-bb50-f87f4a728597/control-incremental-vs-full-backup-on-w2k8-r2

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 17, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Decision to do full vs incremental is a run-time decision that windows backups takes.

Mary,

thanks for the info. Is there any way to enable verbose logging so that I can follow this process? There is currently no information in the logs like 'could not do incremental, will do full'.

/Klaus

Friday, June 17, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Hi Klaus,

By default, tracing is enabled in Windows Server Backup to preserve logs. These traces will be present in files under the following directory:

%windir%\logs\windowsserverbackup

You can use some tools such as tracerpt command to export the .etl file into a .txt file. However, it could be complicated to achieve what you want.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Klaus Köhler Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:40 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi Mary,

thanks for info, however, I can't get any useful information out of the .etl file. The text file logs are useless.

/KLaus

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hi *,

found it out! I tried ReFS to store all my VHDX files since it was the recommended file system but I did not find any information that ReFS cannot do incremental backups.

I reformatted to NTFS and incremental backups are working again.

/Klaus

• Marked as answer by Mary Dong Monday, July 18, 2016 8:41 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 8:22 AM