Generic "on change" trigger for workflow/notification/subscription logic RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for basic information how how "change" triggers can be written, throughout the console. I've already found this helpful blog post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2009/12/15/custom-notification-workflow-on-incident-assignement-or-re-assignment.aspx which covers a custom workflow that sends email notifications when an incident's assigned to relationship changes. However, I need to have the same functionality in a couple other cases.

My client would like to notify a specific DL whenever an incident is assigned to someone new, or whenever status changes (no matter what the old and new values are), even if the DL in question isn't the associated affected or assigned to user. For status changes, I can get halfway there by literally saying "Change from <long or statement covering all status values>, Change to <long or statement covering all status values>" but that actually sends a notification even when the status doesn't change - if I add an activity, and update the incident without changing the status, then the "Change from active, Change to active" condition is met, and an unneccessary notification is sent.

Where it gets worse is when I want to notify on assigned user change (again, even if the DL i'm notifying isn't the old or new assigned user). Obviously building a massive or statement including every single user in the environment isn't feasible. I might be able to follow some of the guidance in the blog post I linked above, but what I'm really looking for is this: is there a better way to trigger an action "on change?" Optimally, this would be something I could use from the GUI, as I'm worried my client is going to be overwhelmed by the need to write custom management packs to implement fairly basic functionality.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Topp
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies