none
Reports: Adding Higher Level Detail to a Task RRS feed

• Question

• In my project plans, I have the task "Requirements Analysis", which is a subtask to a higher level.  The project plan can have several "Requirements Analysis" tasks all with different timeframes and resources.

When I run a report, a resource may have several "Requirements Analysis" tasks, but it does not show which higher level task this item is part of.

The other project team has solved this problem by listing all the higher level task names in the subtask, for example: 

System X Upgrade - Component 1 - Requirements Analysis

I don't repeat all the levels in the subtasks.  Should I?  Is this the best practice for showing the detail on the reports, such as the Who Does What and Who Does What When reports?  Or is there another way to bring in the names of those higher level into the subtask?

Thanks much for your advice.

Carol anne

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hello Carol Anne,

The "Who Does What When" report is a cross-tab report and is limited as far as the ability to modify.  You can add the field "Task Summary Name" to the Resource usage view and print the view.

Another option is to add a macro to append the summary level task name to a custom text field.  Fellow MVP, Jack Dahlgren, has a bit of sample code on his website.  See the "Summary Name" macro at:

http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

This will still not help with the report, unless you replace the task name with the information from Text12.

Please also note, I have not tested the macro in Project 2010.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:21 PM