Is There A Documenter Tool For SQL Svr Mgt Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• I've gone from one job where I used Access as my database tool to one where SQL Svr Mgt Studio is the tool.

There are a butt-load of tables in this database - and, there are umpty-jillion databases to consider - and the tables can have dozens of columns. I need to get a list printed out of just the column headings of relevant tables to aid me in writing my queries.

Now, when I encountered this in Access, I merely went to the Documenter, provided the criteria I was interested in, et voila! Nice little print-out of the column headings. But, I can't find any such tool in SSMS.

I find it difficult to believe that the common man's database tool, Access, can do something that the end-all, be-all of professional tools can't do. So, I figure I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Any help out there? How can I get a nice little printout of just the column headings for a particular table?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:36 PM

Answers

• The SSMS Database Diagram is a good option, as Hasham suggested, but you can also use Microsoft Visio Professional to reverse engineer a SQL Server (or whatever) database into a nice entity relationship diagram.  It's nice because you can also color code the tables and do straight lines for the relationship lines between the tables, which makes it easier to read when you have a database with hundreds to thousands of relationships. 

Beyond that, you can simply run scripts in SSMS against the Information_Schema.Tables and Information_Schema.Columns views to identify tables and columns as well. 

SELECT * FROM information_schema.columns

Eric Isaacs

• Edited by Eric Isaacs Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Adam Quark Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:16 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• HI Adam !

You can use database Diagram Option in SSMS. Please see the article below for more detials;

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1816/getting-started-with-sql-server-database-diagrams/

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks,
    Hasham

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:23 AM
    Answerer
  • The SSMS Database Diagram is a good option, as Hasham suggested, but you can also use Microsoft Visio Professional to reverse engineer a SQL Server (or whatever) database into a nice entity relationship diagram.  It's nice because you can also color code the tables and do straight lines for the relationship lines between the tables, which makes it easier to read when you have a database with hundreds to thousands of relationships. 

Beyond that, you can simply run scripts in SSMS against the Information_Schema.Tables and Information_Schema.Columns views to identify tables and columns as well. 

SELECT * FROM information_schema.columns

Eric Isaacs

• Edited by Eric Isaacs Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Adam Quark Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:16 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Thank you, Hasham and Eric.

What with the Thanksgiving holidays and new employee orientation and training, I've not been able to attempt either solution, yet. I knew about the Visio solution, but we're having a hard time getting mine to connect to the database - something about permissions, I think.

I hope to get the Visio problem solved this week and give that a try and I'll check out Hasham's answer, as well.

Thanx!

• Edited by Adam Quark Monday, November 28, 2011 5:01 PM frikkin frakkin fat fingers...
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Finally got Visio to cooperate and that pretty much does what I need. Thanx, Eric!
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:16 PM