none
There is no disks to display.. Unable to add disks to SC DPM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi IT fellows,

please help me!!!

My setup is: Windows Server 2016; SQL 2014; SC DPM 2016.

This DPM server is running on HyperV.

The problem is, that I cannot add disk to DPM. I've tried to create vhd, vhdx, fix sized, dynamic, small, huge. etc. disks with no avail. Tried from shell, from GUI, but the DPM doesn't see available disks.

I am clueless right now. Any help is appreciated.

Istvan

Istvan Ferencz

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2016 running on a Windows 2016 server only support the new DPM Modern Storage feature which uses ReFs formatted volumes instead of disks.  The volume(s) must not reside on a Windows Dynamic Disks, just a basic disk which should be GPT if the disk is 2TB or larger.  Add the volume(s) to the DPM storage pool, then protection can succeed.

See  Add Storage to DPM 2016

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hi, Istvan!

You must:

1) Add new vhd/vhdx (for better performance choose fixed) disk to DPM server from Hyper-V console

2) Go to DPM server disk management and initialization disk

3) Add correct disk from DPM console

In your case you have "Dynamic" disk in the DPM server!

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

• Proposed as answer by EugeneLeitanMVP Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by István Ferencz Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:25 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Hi Eugen,

thanks for taking your time.

so I've added the disk from the hyperv console. The VM can use the added disk without problem. The problem is, that the disk is not available for the DPM. I cannot add it to the storage pool, because the available disk pane is empty however as you can see, the disk is there in the Disk Management Console.

Istvan Ferencz

Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:14 PM
  • delete this disk and create new one according steps above :)

Disk shouldn't be in the status "Dynamic"! After initialization disk must be in "Basic" status (pic above №5).

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2016 running on a Windows 2016 server only support the new DPM Modern Storage feature which uses ReFs formatted volumes instead of disks.  The volume(s) must not reside on a Windows Dynamic Disks, just a basic disk which should be GPT if the disk is 2TB or larger.  Add the volume(s) to the DPM storage pool, then protection can succeed.

See  Add Storage to DPM 2016

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

I was undereducated in the subject but you made my day!

Thank you!

Istvan

Istvan Ferencz

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:25 AM