Just wondering: how many appz have you pinned to taskbar yet? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Mine is already 25 and it feels very crowded. I think the new taskbar can use a little bit of better overflow management. What do you guys think about it?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• 6- explorer, firefox, pidgin, wmp, live photo gallery, and word.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:11 AM
  • sticky notes, wmp, Windows Explorer, Live Writer, Firefox, WLM, emeditor.
    not much

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:36 AM
  • 1-Firefox.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:01 AM
  • Just 3: IRC, explorer, and Firefox. I would pin more, but those programs are controlled through their system tray icons; and why have two icons on the taskbar for the same thing? If more programs (bittorrent clients, etc) stuck their control features in jumplists instead of tray icons, I'd be a program-pinning madman.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:11 AM
  • 5 - Firefox, My Computer, iTunes, uTorrent, TweetDeck. For everything else there's Start Menu :)

@OP - are you sure that you really need all those 25 apps instantly accessible anytime from anywhere? :P

Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:43 PM
  • 5 - Firefox, My Computer, iTunes, uTorrent, TweetDeck. For everything else there's Start Menu :)

@OP - are you sure that you really need all those 25 apps instantly accessible anytime from anywhere? :P

Regards, Kristaps.
    Kristaps

How did you manage to pin My Computer to the task bar? When I drag its' icon to the taskbar, nothing happens. 
    Tony
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:57 PM
  • How did you manage to pin My Computer to the task bar? When I drag its' icon to the taskbar, nothing happens.
    First you have to pin the whole Windows Explorer to the taskbar, then right-click on the icon, right click on Windows Explorer again, choose properties and replace Target with this: %windir%\explorer.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}::
    Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:14 PM
  • 3 - Firefox, Thunderbird, Magicjack
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:02 PM

Regards, Kristaps.
    I pinned word,powerpoint,winedt,origin pro,matlab,mathematica,windows explorer,photoshop,illustrator,internet explorer (this is a goner once chrome adds previews for tabs), google chrome,media player,media center,sticky notes,itunes (media player is fine but it isnt as powerfull when it comes to id3 editing),remote desktop,vnc viewer,putty ....
    I use these appz very often...I am a simple minded person, it is either the taskbar or the start menu...but not both :-) using both is too confusing for me :-)

Till 15-20 icons, taskbar was very efficient, but once I pinned more than 20 it became a pain because taskbar wasnt long enough to accomodate all the icons...I had to use either smaller icons, which are really small (requires a magnifiying glass) or leave with the scroll icon. Having to click the scroll icon wasnt so efficient as it isnt any different than using the start menu. And it isnt very easy to move icons between two taskbars. major annoyance :-)

I would prefer a more fluid taskbar, dynamically resizable or some autoscroll functionality.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I once suggested that Taskbar overflow should be horizontal ( <--> ) and scrollable via the mouse wheel, and possibly even continuous (wrap-around) in Windows7 comments thread. Some people said this idea was good, but as far as I remember, nothing more.

And I keep in taskbar only my most used programs, which are usually (always, actually) open all at the same time :P
    In Start Menu I have the rest - MS Office, Photoshop, FileZilla, Skpye, etc. -- the programs that I use often, but not always and every time I use my computer.

Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I once suggested that Taskbar overflow should be horizontal ( <--> ) and scrollable via the mouse wheel, and possibly even continuous (wrap-around) in Windows7 comments thread. Some people said this idea was good, but as far as I remember, nothing more.

And I keep in taskbar only my most used programs, which are usually (always, actually) open all at the same time :P
    In Start Menu I have the rest - MS Office, Photoshop, FileZilla, Skpye, etc. -- the programs that I use often, but not always and every time I use my computer.

Regards, Kristaps.
    thats a very good suggestion :-)
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:20 PM