MDT 2013 Update 2 W10 Task Sequence Stalling RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been trying really hard to resolve this issue I've been having and doing as much research as I can to try and get it working, but alas, it isn't working.

I have a server with MDT 2013 Update 2 that I do both Windows 7 and Windows 10 deployments on. I only do basic imaging, no USMT or anything along those lines. When I do Windows 7 Deployment Task Sequences, it works just fine. Everything goes through without a hitch. However, when I do a Windows 10 Deployment Task Sequence, everything is working just fine until after the AutoLogon goes through, and then the TS simply stops. I'll outline some things below to help see what I see:

1. The AutoLogon to the builtin Local Admin account succeeds
    2. The deployment share drive is mapped
    3. There is no MININT folder on the root of C:\
    4. The C:\Windows\Temp folder has the deployment logs, but their update is from the capture (I have to admit I'm not extremely familiar with the log paradigm. I may need help with what I need to look for).
    5. I can make the TS proceed by doing one of two things: 
        - I can open the mapped drive and start the LiteTouch.vbs. It says it finds a dirty environment and then I tell it not to start a new one, and it ends up going through.
        - I can log out of the user and log back in, same account, and it says it finds a dirty environment and then I tell it not to start a new deployment and it also goes through.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. I've tried commenting out the LTICleanup line that enables UAC for the local admin
    2. I've tried recreating the task sequence and the Unattend.xml
    3. I've tried recapturing the image (Hyper-V)
    4. I've tried rebuilding the PE boot image, in case there was something earlier in the process that would cause any issues.
    5. Baseball bat... 'nuff said.

I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what to look at. The nice thing is that there is a workaround to getting this for each deployment, but it's a little bit frustrating and causes an extra step of interaction in the middle of the deployment that should be unnecessary.

I may also need your help to tell me what logs you need and at what point in the process you need them from. As noted above, I'm not extremely familiar with the log paradigm.

• Edited by Matt A. Armstrong Friday, May 27, 2016 7:04 AM Grammar and spelling adjustments
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

• You can modify version.xml to some lesser number to force an update. After you change it open up the share in MDT workbench and choose update. Then regenerate your boot images...

Wait are you sure you are using the correct boot images?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, May 27, 2016 7:16 PM

All replies

• The FAQ is a good start for finding logs.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:09 PM
  • A couple of things.

Are you sure you are running update 2?  Your logs show the version number of update 1.

Also you might be missing some drivers because you are allowing PNP detection in WinPE.  The total chaos method is unreliable at best:

Use Method 3 total control from this blog

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:38 PM
  • Alright, so I did another test deployment and there was a MININT folder this time. I'm not too sure if the other time I've checked there was a fluke or not. I didn't end the deployment, so they shouldn't have deleted. In any case, with the presence of that folder came current deployment logs.

Here's the link to the BDD.log. The odd thing is that it says that the ZTIGather step completed successfully and yet it still returned an error code (-2147467259  0x80004005):
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FC380EF287D4D458!506&authkey=!APXK3dv4bEKErRw&ithint=file%2cLOG

Gather completed successfully but the LiteTouch Step seems to have failed. Here's a link to that log file:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FC380EF287D4D458!510&authkey=!AE-_ThwsHEzDXvE&ithint=file%2clog

(sorry, can't submit links yet)

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I'll look into the driver items a little later. I don't believe those are causing this particular problem (correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks for the pointer.

That's interesting about Update 1. I didn't catch that before. My MDT Workbench says Update 2, so I might need to redo that upgrade?

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Take a look at .\Control\version.xml.  It should show the build number as 8330.

Friday, May 27, 2016 7:06 PM
  • Yeah, it's listed as 6.3.8330.1000
    Friday, May 27, 2016 7:09 PM
  • You can modify version.xml to some lesser number to force an update. After you change it open up the share in MDT workbench and choose update. Then regenerate your boot images...

Wait are you sure you are using the correct boot images?

Friday, May 27, 2016 7:16 PM
  • The image version I have for my WinPE boot is 10.0.10586. Is that what you're referring to?

I'll try forcing an update and get back to you on that portion.

Friday, May 27, 2016 8:52 PM
  • No I mean the MDT boot image version.

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Yes, I'm sure the MDT boot image version was correct.

In any case, it seems that doing the "fake-out" and upgrading the deployment share again seems to have done the trick! It was working before, so I'm assuming that a script got messed up somewhere somehow and was repaired by the repair as well. In any case, that's resolved. I ran into another issue with the task sequence erroring out of every step after the reboot, but that was repaired by a TS step that paused for 2 minutes after restarting and logging in for the first time.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:48 PM