DVD DRIVE Missing in Vista Explorer randomly affect bios also, Repeats every day morning when start Laptop RRS feed

• General discussion

• I Have a Toshiba A205 with Vista Home Premium Preinstalled with Recovery DVD.

BIOS is LAtest 2.5

April onwrds DVD started showing Missing in Explorer with Power LED on and eject not working, Device driver is aautomatically removed.

Restarting keep the bios from booting for 10 minuts as DVD drive Led on and nothig happening,> Then bios fedup with ATAPI DVD ROM Booting Without DVD drive keeping it stuck..

With lot of effort I could MAde this DVD work by editing Registry and Changing IDE controller drivers  Disabling ATA Channels...NOw it is working..but every morning I have to Do the same procedure to detect the DVD drive...

Microsoft also couldnt solve this ..as I contact for support..Questions and Answers going on....

Toshiba also have no specific answers..

PLease try If you have any Suggestions.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, if DVD device can't be detected in BIOS, the problem is due to hardware configuration or hardware defect. If it is the case, you may need to contact hardware manufacturer for testing motherboard configuration, power supply and DVD device.

Based on the current situation, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. Unplug DVD device and test on another available computer if you own one to see if it works normally.

2. Update BIOS to the latest version, I found that the latest version for Toshiba A205 is 2.6 on Toshiba site.

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2252699xml&sliceId=&dialogID=62539445&stateId=0062537808

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.  

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, June 15, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Good evening,

Problem was not with hardware..if I reinstall Vista from Recovery DVD from Toshiba, It works fine for some days..and this is problem with some updates..

I found out 1 update and after uninstalling it,....for the  last 2 days it is not repeating the Missing problem..So I think I am near to success..I have to wait for some more days to say sure about the Update...

Thanks

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Another thing The bios in the toshiba site is not for my Laptop..My toshiba is A205-S5804 using Intel Display.

thanks
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering what is the number of this update, was this update installed successfully?

If this issue is resolved after uninstalling this update, I may need to suggest that you configure Windows Update settings to hide this update, thus Windows Update wouldn't remind you to install it any more.

Otherwise, if this issue occurs again, I recommend that you uninstall the DVD driver, unplug and plug in the computer to antomatically detect it again.

Please respond back and let me know.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:30 AM
  • The Update Uninstalled is not redetecting again, I am waiting the problem to reccure for last 1 week...Now My lap became ok.

It was error with  the Windows Update.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:42 AM
  • hi,

i had the same problem. i actually formatted my computer but i'm worried now with the updates.
    what update affected the dvd drive ??
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:02 PM
  • KB938979
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem on Fujitsu Siemens LifeBook E Series 8410. I am just restarting SO after uninstalling KB938979. Wish me luck !!!

Configuring updates ...
    Shutting down ....
    Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 100% complete

Neah ... this wasn't it. For me at least.

I get the message that is ok to unplug the device (DVD).

Any other suggestions ?

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Failled updates on my Fujistu sistem (E8410)

KB953155 uninstalled
    KB937287 can not be uninstalled

Stil no DVD :(
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:36 PM