SharePoint 2007 custom list column creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm attempting to create a new custom column in a new list which uses the 'person or group' lookup.  From there, I'd like the option to select multiple groups.  There only seems to be an option to select one SharePoint group. 

My ultimate goal is to:

1. Provide users who are building a new item in the list the option to select from several distinct groups, optimally with checkboxes to allow the selection of more than 1 group at a time. 

2.  Restrict them from seeing all of the other users and groups in SharePoint when making their selection. 

3.  The users in each selected group would each receive an email notifying them of the new item in the list for them to take action.

Any idea how I can make this happen?  It seems I'm only able to select one group and it only lists the users in that group.  I know they can manually select each user, but each group has several users and will be a very time-consuming task.  Lastly, I don't have the permissions to use or install Designer, SPD, or any other program to dig into the coding.  It seems my only option is to use what's available in SharePoint.  Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Goldmemba

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:19 AM Moving to admin. If it is SP 2010 it will need to be moved again (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that you want to create a list column which is a combination of a person and group and Choice .And when an item is created ,email the people and group in the column .

Actually ,there is not any out of box actions which you can use to achieve this .To create  a column like that ,you have to use code .In SharePoint ,you can set the people and group column to select from all users and allow multiple choices . Then adding multiple groups at the same time is allowed .As for the email part ,you can use the  action ‘alert me’ to send you an email when a new item is created. But you have to put the users into the send to manually .

Next time when you can use SPD ,you can create a workflow to send email to the people and groups in the column automatically  when an item is created .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 2:22 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:33 AM

All replies

• First thing you left out is what version of SharePoint are you using?  WSS?  MOSS?  If it's SP2010, you've posted in the wrong forum.  Once this is known people can start giving you suggestions.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Steve,

I'm running MOSS 2007.

Thanks,

Goldmemba

Goldmemba
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi ,

I understand that you want to create a list column which is a combination of a person and group and Choice .And when an item is created ,email the people and group in the column .

Actually ,there is not any out of box actions which you can use to achieve this .To create  a column like that ,you have to use code .In SharePoint ,you can set the people and group column to select from all users and allow multiple choices . Then adding multiple groups at the same time is allowed .As for the email part ,you can use the  action ‘alert me’ to send you an email when a new item is created. But you have to put the users into the send to manually .

Next time when you can use SPD ,you can create a workflow to send email to the people and groups in the column automatically  when an item is created .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 2:22 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:33 AM