Word/Excel Online 2016 Navigation RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup SharePoint on premise 2016 along with Office Online Server 2016 and Exchange on premise 2016.  The biggest issue we can't seem to figure out is working on shared documents from Onedrive using Word online. If a user shares a document with me and I open it up, there doesn't seem to be any easy way for me to get back to my onedrive environment, the only option is to click the name of the person who shared the document with me which brings me into their personal onedrive location (with no rights of course) and from there I can click on the tiles and get back to my onedrive.  I attached an example below.  A user shared this document with me and I opened it.  You can see my name in the top right which is not clickable, and their full name was on the left hand side under 'Word Online' ( I replaced their name in the picture and just put in Shared User).  My only option at this point is to click their name, but how do I get directly back to my files?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Brian Stein

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

As the shared document is stored in other user’s OneDrive library, so the URL of the user’s OneDrive library shows on the upper left corner.

For now, you can user your own way to get to your OneDrive library. Or you can change the URL directly to get to your OneDrive library instead.

Thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the SharePoint User Voice Platform if there any expectation about the future version of SharePoint:

http://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Victoria 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by stein_brian Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:38 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Office Online pages are not customizable.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You can customize the WopiFrame.aspx page located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\16\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS in your SharePoint server.

You can use JavaScript to construct the link based on your need.

Best Regards,

Victoria 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Never manually edit files like that. It's not supported and the changes may be lost when patching.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

As the shared document is stored in other user’s OneDrive library, so the URL of the user’s OneDrive library shows on the upper left corner.

For now, you can user your own way to get to your OneDrive library. Or you can change the URL directly to get to your OneDrive library instead.

Thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the SharePoint User Voice Platform if there any expectation about the future version of SharePoint:

http://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Victoria 

Monday, April 10, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Thanks Victoria!  So then there is no way to add in like a breadcrumb trail or anything on top that would link the user right back to their library, or anything like that?  Thanks!

Brian

Brian Stein

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Office Online pages are not customizable.

Trevor Seward

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You can customize the WopiFrame.aspx page located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\16\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS in your SharePoint server.

You can use JavaScript to construct the link based on your need.

Best Regards,

Victoria 

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Never manually edit files like that. It's not supported and the changes may be lost when patching.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Trevor is right.

Please also take Trevor's suggestion into consideration as the customizations on the WopiFrame.aspx page will lost when patching.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:24 AM