vb6 sp6 package setup.exe will not register files/drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have written multiple applications in VB6.  We send these applications to customers for my companies product configuration in the field.
    I use the package and deployment wizard in VB6 SP6
    When customers in the field run the setup.exe, they get the error-
        An error occurred while registering the file 'C:\Windows\System32\hid.dll'
    This happens for many files - such as Ws32_32.dll, setupapi.dll, mswinsck.ocx...
    I have read that this has to do with SysWOW64 having pre-compiled drivers in it that are an older revision than VB6 has access to, and that the vb6 setup.exe that is part of the package cannot update the SysWOW64 drivers.

Is there a way to make a vb6 package that installs on Windows 7?  If not is there at least a way to suppress the errors so that customers do not see them, the application does run.

Thanks,
    Martin

Friday, July 29, 2016 4:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried running setup.exe 'as administrator' ?

You would probably be better using a MSI installer, such as AdvancedInstaller (AdvancedInstaller , a freeware version is available) or Inno Setup (InnoSetup free), which can handle SysWOW64.

You shouldn't really be be trying to install hid.dll (it should be there already) and you shouldn't register it. Same with Ws32_32.dll

Microsoft VB6 programming support statement: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:17 AM
  • As VB6 mentioned, please try it.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 1, 2016 9:33 AM