none
Online Backup of Server 2012 VM on Hypver-V 2008R2 not possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guy's,

I'm new to DPM cause we are recently decided to move away from our not so good old Backup Software.

Now i'm trying to Backup a Hyper-V 2008R2 Server (no cluster). There are 3 VM's wich run Server 2012 and i DPM Says it cant do a online Backup.

I check for these things:

• The Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.
    • A virtual machine has one or more dynamic disks.
    • A virtual machine has one or more volumes that are based on non-NTFS file systems.
    • In a cluster configuration, the virtual machine Cluster Resource Group is offline.
    • A virtual machine is not in a running state.
    • A Shadow Storage assignment of a volume inside the virtual machine is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.

Is is maybe not possible to backup the 2012 VM'S online on the HV2008R2 Server? Or do i have a other Problem?

Any hints a welcome.

thank you, regard

Stefan

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:00 PM

All replies

• What is version DPM?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx

Install Integration Service !

Protecting Hyper-V virtual machines

What are errors (screenshot) ?

Unsupported scenarios

• DPM servers and servers that are running Hyper-V must be located in the same domains. Different domains are not supported.
    • DPM does not support the backup of virtual machine data on pass-through disks that present volumes to the virtual machine or use a remote virtual hard disk (VHD). For such virtual machines, we recommend that you perform a backup of the VHD files at the level of servers that are running Hyper-V by using DPM and install a DPM protection agent on the virtual machine to back up data that is not visible on the server that is running Hyper-V.
    • DPM does not support backup and recovery of virtual machines on replica servers that are running Hyper-V.

Prerequisites for virtual machine protection

Have a nice day !!!

Friday, March 14, 2014 7:23 AM
  • OH Soory i forgott to metion:

DPM 2012 R2

Friday, March 14, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

can you go to event log and provide us more detail on the error that produce by the system?

Lai (My blog:- http://www.ms4u.info)

Friday, March 14, 2014 4:19 PM
  • HI Guy's,

thanks for your replys, but as these Servers are not mission critical and I'm very busy with others thing
    we will stick to the saved State backup and won't investigate this future.

thanks and regards

Stefan

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:31 AM