Deleting desktop shortcuts - weird random behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Windows 7 RTM x86 Ultimate installed on a laptop (Vaio VGN-FE31 - C2D + 2 Gbs RAM).

1. Click Start and search for any of those programs located by default in the windows taskbar.
    2. Create a shortcut in the desktop using Send To (Windows Explorer, Media Player, Internet Explorer)
    2. Send the created shortcut to the recycled bin.
    3. Try to start the same app from the taskbar.

4. Do you get an error dialog box stating windows can't find the application? 

Random behaviour, but it happens sometimes.
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP hope my computer won't crash! ;)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:32 AM

Answers

• Probably I didn't explain myself properly.

If a send to the recycle bin a desktop shortcut of any app which is already pinned to the taskbar, I do get an exception when I try to start it, stating that Windows is unable to locate that app.

That's the issue, actually.

W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP hope my computer won't crash! ;)

Hi Reckon

I was unable to recreate the behavior you are describing?

How was the program originally pinned to the Taskbar?

When you start a program, an icon for that program is placed on the Taskbar, while it is running. If you right click that shortcut on the Taskbar and select the Pin To Taskbar option, the programs icon will remain pinned to the Taskbar.

If you originally started this program using a shortcut, that Taskbar icon will be associated with that shortcut and not directly with the programs executable (exe) file. If you then delete that shortcut, the Taskbar icon will no longer work.

This can also happen if you drag a programs shortcut and drop it on the Taskbar to pin it there. If you go back and delete the original shortcut, the Taskbar icon will no longer work.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:47 AM

All replies

• what is the problem actually? to create desktop shortcut navigate a needed program from the start menu, hold right button and move the selected item to the desktop area, then release right button and choose "create shortcuts here". if you want to delete this shortcut, just select it, press delete and confirm it. it's all. then you can launch that program from the startmenu or create shortcut again.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:00 AM

If a send to the recycle bin a desktop shortcut of any app which is already pinned to the taskbar, I do get an exception when I try to start it, stating that Windows is unable to locate that app.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:48 PM

Hi Reckon

I was unable to recreate the behavior you are describing?

How was the program originally pinned to the Taskbar?

When you start a program, an icon for that program is placed on the Taskbar, while it is running. If you right click that shortcut on the Taskbar and select the Pin To Taskbar option, the programs icon will remain pinned to the Taskbar.

If you originally started this program using a shortcut, that Taskbar icon will be associated with that shortcut and not directly with the programs executable (exe) file. If you then delete that shortcut, the Taskbar icon will no longer work.

This can also happen if you drag a programs shortcut and drop it on the Taskbar to pin it there. If you go back and delete the original shortcut, the Taskbar icon will no longer work.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Ronnie.

However, I'm so bad trying to explain what happens.

My problem is if I send to the recycled bin any shortcut previously created in the desktop for any of those apps included in the taskbar by default (internet explorer, wmp, windows explorer) and then I try to start the application clicking in the task bar, I get an error.

Is it clear enough? Sorry for the misunderstood. 

Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Similar issue.  Had itunes installed with a shortcut in the quick launch menu.  Apple updated itunes.  Windows can't find the old program, but still shows the shortcut in the quick launch menu with no option to delete.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Greetings FredFitzstone,

that's exactly what I meant. Sorry about my english. Sometimes I can't find the proper words/way to explain it.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:22 AM