SharePoint running the repair RRS feed

• Question

• I was curious what the impact of running the Control Panel / Program Features / SharePoint Server 2007 repair option will do? Will this reset everything? Will this delete my web applications / sites?
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:14 AM

Answers

• The quick answer for both of your questions is No.

Why?

Sharepoint installation process has mainly two steps:

1- Installing the application from the DVD: Similar to any other software installation (i.e. like installing Skype on your machine!), it will create a folder on program files, play with registry ..  ects, install the DLLs & exe's and other artfacts)

2- Configuring sharepoint(starts from the point when you click run sharepiont technology configuration wizard, and includes any other configuration step that you do like creating a site collection or modifying the out going email setting on central administration.. ect): it will Create Configuration database on SQL server, Create Web application on IIS, create & modify some files on 12 hive and put the needed artfacts there (XMLs, resource files & ASCX)

Using the Control pannel / Program Features / repair will only play with stuff mentioned on point 1.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• The quick answer for both of your questions is No.

Why?

Sharepoint installation process has mainly two steps:

1- Installing the application from the DVD: Similar to any other software installation (i.e. like installing Skype on your machine!), it will create a folder on program files, play with registry ..  ects, install the DLLs & exe's and other artfacts)

2- Configuring sharepoint(starts from the point when you click run sharepiont technology configuration wizard, and includes any other configuration step that you do like creating a site collection or modifying the out going email setting on central administration.. ect): it will Create Configuration database on SQL server, Create Web application on IIS, create & modify some files on 12 hive and put the needed artfacts there (XMLs, resource files & ASCX)

Using the Control pannel / Program Features / repair will only play with stuff mentioned on point 1.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:06 AM

• Very useful way you have share to all users, in reply I have share an another third party tool like SharePoint Database recovery tool to repair SharePoint database and recover all SQL and MDF files from your PC. The software provide you two scanning modes 1) Raw SQL Instance mode, 2) Live SQL Instance mode help you to recover database from SharePoint server. Visit: http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/sharepoint-database-repair.html
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Hi sm..

have   backup of SharePoint config and other databases related to sharepoint , and then repair sharepoint 

Mukesh

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:46 AM