Error in adding Server Manager add Roles and Features RRS feed

• Question

• Event ID: 1601

Could not discover the state of the system. An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005): Server execution failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE))
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

> but even my command prompt are not functioning
    Please re-start server system in Clean Boot and confirm that if you can successfully open CMD and running “sfc /scannow”.

>then the server open but with some errors
    What are these errors? 

Please check Event Viewer and confirm that if any relate event has been logged. also, is there any other problem except for failure server role adding, failure CMD opening? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please use “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Besides, please try use DISM.EXE to check/repair system files/components. Command line as below:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If reparation is completed successfully, please try to install again and check the result.

If problem persists, please provide me below information:
    1. OS name and version, you can run “msinfo32” to check detail info.
    2. Please confirm that if problem only happens when installing specific server role, if so, please provide me the server role full name.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Hi thank you for the answer, but even my command prompt are not functioning
    Monday, December 18, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

What is the error message of failed command line? 

What is your OS name and version? 

Is there any change before problem happens?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi

I don't see any error in Command Prompt because even if I run Command Prompt as Administrator nothing happen, the cmd not opening

Win Server 2008 R2,

Before the server turned off unexpectedly and when I try to open it, nothing happen, then I switch the hard drive place then the server open but with some errors

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

> but even my command prompt are not functioning
    Please re-start server system in Clean Boot and confirm that if you can successfully open CMD and running “sfc /scannow”.

>then the server open but with some errors
    What are these errors? 

Please check Event Viewer and confirm that if any relate event has been logged. also, is there any other problem except for failure server role adding, failure CMD opening? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, December 25, 2017 1:39 AM