Serious Problem with rebuilding user profiles everytime they log on, in a domain! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All

We are having a serious problem with some of our users who are running Vista Business Edition, where when they log on every morning, it is like they have never logged on and Vista rebuilds their profile and deletes the old one. So all start menu changes, Email settings, IE favorites, desktop files are being lost.

I have never seen this before and as it is happening to more and more users it is getting a little worrying.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? If you need anymore information just ask

Thanks

Gopherman!

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Gopherman,

Could you please open ADUC and check whther this account has been set to use roaming profile.

If it is, please change the profile folder to local directory.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Gopherman,

Did you use roaming profile for these users?

Also, could you create a new account to test whether it has the same problem.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding - however I think I found an odd solution.

Basically, it seems that my profile was saved on Vista as a roaming profile and all settings were saved in the roaming area.

I tried a reinstal and I still had the same issue, so I did this which managed to fix the problem:

1. Remove the PC from the domain (and remove entries from AD)
    2. long on as the initial profile or administrator
    3. Remove all entries relating to the domain user account
    4. Re-register with the domain
    5. reboot

An odd solution to an odd problem!

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks

Gopherman
    Monday, January 14, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Gopherman,

Thanks for your upate, your experience will help other communities to fix the similar problem.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Right, things have changed again, but I think I have managed to replecate the problem.

This is what I have done to replicate the problem:

Initial Checks
    I have found that all my profile changes are being stored in the Roaming folder, even though on Vista my User account is set to local.

1. For a presentation I needed to connect to my PC at my desk remotely, using Remote Desktop!
    2. All was ok, while presenting, unfortunately when I had finished, instead of closing the session I logged off my PC remotely.
    3. When I returned to my PC to log on again - it rebuilt my profile locally!!!

If someone can try this or let me know if it is a vista setting or AD setting or even group policy that would be great!

Hope this makes sense, if not please ask.

Any ideas please let me know.

Cheers

Gopherman
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Hi Gopherman,

Could you please open ADUC and check whther this account has been set to use roaming profile.

If it is, please change the profile folder to local directory.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, January 25, 2008 10:26 AM
  •  

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem. A user has a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista Business and almost everytime he logs on to the machine it creates a new local profile for for him losing all his settings.

He was set up as a roaming user but I have now changed his AD account to non-roaming and removed all the old profiles from the Laptop. I logged him back on and set him up with a fresh profile then logged him off and back on again and all the settings remained. He went home for the weekend and all was well when he returned to the office on Monday morning and logged on. Then he went away from the office with the laptop and logged on only to find all his settings had gone again. On checking his PC remotley I found it had created a new profile yet again, ending in .000

Any ideas as I'm scratching my head !?!

Cheers.

Toni.

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:15 PM