Windows Vista and HP Printers RRS feed

• Question

• Well here is my delima. I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista. The first printer was a HP C6180. The drivers installed ok, and I could print with no problems Well as time went by, when I reboot the laptop now it keeps asking me for the installation CD all over again. I did this several times, and it still keeps asking for the installation CD. Well I thought it was the printer. So we got a new printer the HP 7580. Installed the drivers and everything went fine. Now it is doing the samething. Vista keeps asking for the Installation CD. Both of these are brand new printers. There is no error message or anything. It just keeps asking for installation CD. I did remove all the software when I installed the new printer, so I know that is not the problem. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Tlyoungb

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Tlyoungb,

Thank you for posting!

For furthering troubleshooting this issue, please help me collect the information via following two steps:

1.    Find the original process of the window that asks for installation CD. For your convenience, you may use Process Explorer:

Process Explorer v11.04

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

While the application is running, you can highlight the process that owns a window visible on the desktop by dragging the target-like toolbar button over the window in question. Process Explorer will select the owning process entry in the process view.

2.    Make screen shots for the window and the result of Step 1.

I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the screenshot files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=07997e68-6212-4b92-8565-6590343032ec)

Password: MDOsE@B5#-7Pa

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:10 AM