Antivirus not fully compatible with WINDOWS 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I use Norton 360 v3.0.
    I have a few compatibility issues running it in WIN7
    The SONAR portion has no driver as well as disabled inbound and outbound e-mail scanning.
    I do however have the ability to run liveupdate as well as virus scan.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has a list of partners' products that are compatible with WIndows 7 at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx.  That page links to Norton's description of their Windows 7 support (http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=windows7).  Currently, that page has the following message:

"Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 Version 3.0
    When the production version of Windows 7 is released, users of Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 Version 3.0 with active subscriptions will automatically receive the appropriate compatibility update.* The update will be delivered automatically online, and no user action will be required. Users of older versions of Norton security products can visit our upgrade center for information on how to get the latest versions of their products.

*Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility update to be delivered online via LiveUpdate, and is subject to production release of the Windows 7 operating system within the service period. See Microsoft for Windows 7 system requirements. "
    -Matt
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:53 PM

All replies

• I have read from different threads around this forum that Norton is currently incompatible with Windows 7, however NIS 2010 is being fixed to run in windows 7.

• Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 22, 2010 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I'm running norton internet security BETA 2010 which is now compatable, download from symantec/norton you get 14day subscription which probably is renewed free. It looks great and I haven't seen any problems as yet.
    Davey
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:01 PM
  • I tried it out and it did work great but when I saw that the subscription was only 14 days I switched to Kaspersky 8.0 Technical preview for Windows 7. Let us know if they do renew the subscription for free after 14 days. So far NIS beta 2010 and Kaspersky 8.0 are the only two that have worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by daveycrocket Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:26 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Also, SEP 11 MR2 and Forefront client works file. Both x32 and x64 clients.

Always Beta, why no final?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Microsoft has a list of partners' products that are compatible with WIndows 7 at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx.  That page links to Norton's description of their Windows 7 support (http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=windows7).  Currently, that page has the following message:

"Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 Version 3.0
    When the production version of Windows 7 is released, users of Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 Version 3.0 with active subscriptions will automatically receive the appropriate compatibility update.* The update will be delivered automatically online, and no user action will be required. Users of older versions of Norton security products can visit our upgrade center for information on how to get the latest versions of their products.

*Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility update to be delivered online via LiveUpdate, and is subject to production release of the Windows 7 operating system within the service period. See Microsoft for Windows 7 system requirements. "
    -Matt
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Go with NOD32 from ESET.  So far working flawlessly for me in Win 7 x64.  Much lighter load than Norton.  IMO.  =)
    • Proposed as answer by mike_12 Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:03 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Hi wayno
    I have renewed Norton beta it just said renewal needed in 3 days click renew which I did, free of charge it renewed for 17 days.

Hope it helps

Davey
    • Proposed as answer by daveycrocket Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:30 AM
  • I'v been using NOD32 4.x since win 7 beta, 'til RC up to now no prob,, runs like clock work..
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:05 PM
  • norton products are a constant failure on all platforms of windows. so a new op system, its gonna be worse. i dont know if norton is targeted by hackers because of its popularity or not, but ive used norton 360 for my home systems -5, and on 3 of them it failed to protect and was disabled by a trojan, or virus.  ive since just used avast professional, and have been saved so many times. but ive tried them all, mcafee, norton, kaspersky(bad failure), and avg(worst failure). as for windows defender, useless, why dont they just kill that thing.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:36 PM