Windows Install Error (page fault in nonpaged area) RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to do a fresh install  windows 10 on my Alienware X-14 Laptop. 

A failed installation last night when I tried to upgrade with  a broken screen and had to shut it off. Now When I Turn it on, it crashes. I cannot access Safe  More or Windows At all.

So I put Windows 10 on a Bootable USB and it comes up with page fault in nonpaged area error. I read to do a SFC /scannow  & that is running now after, I'm not 100% about this part.command prompt was  on  C:\ and I changed it to X somehow when trying to fix it. When I cd: C: or D: I get  device is not ready.  But now that it's on X:\ the  sfc  scan runs now & gives no errors back.

I also Tried dism.exe /image:D\ / cleanup-image /revertpendingactions but it says it's unable to access the file.

Any Help would be appreciated 

Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Last night I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 on my X-14 Alienware Laptop with a broken screen, I was hoping it would recognize my external monitor but it did not so I let it run hoping eventually it would install the right drivers for the screen to turn on it just install it and let me restart... Well, it did not work when I turned it back off after having to shut it down, Windows would not start up anymore, so here is the real problem now. I put Windows 10 on a Bootable USB Drive and it shows the windows logo loading in and then Pops up with the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. 

So I researched the error (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) and got solutions to do (SFC /SCANNOW) which did not work because it gives me the error (There is a system repair pending which requires reboot</g> to complete.) Rebooted and it's the same thing.) I later got this to scan when it changed my drive from C: to X and it came up with (Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations)

So I researched (There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete.) and came up with the solutions to do

del x:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows  which gave me the Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

So to simplify things. Windows Will not start up, not even in safe mode.

Things I did to cause this. Tried to upgrade Windows 10 / Removed Laptop Screen

I can access still Windows Repair & Bios but not safe mode. 

I'm not even sure I'm  the right drive in the command prompt anymore, it started out with C:\Windows... now it's X<g class="gr_ gr_80 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="80" id="80">:Windows</g> which let it finally run. & Have no clue how to change it back. I did the <g class="gr_ gr_88 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="88" id="88">listdisk</g> & CD d:\ and it says Device is not ready.

Commands I have inputted are

SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

del x:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

To install Windows 10 on this laptop, please make sure to update your BIOS first:

Please take the following steps:

1. Make sure your system BIOS is up to date. Check our article on How to run a Bios update on an Alienware Computer
    2. Disable Secure Boot from the BIOS

1. Restart your system
      2. Start tapping F2 when the Alienware Logo shows up
      3. Inside the BIOS go to the Boot tab
      4. Go down and highlight Secure Boot
      5. Press Enter and select Disabled
      6. Press F10 to save and exit

Then, run Check disk tool when you boot into USB media:

Chkdsk /r /f

Let's run or reinstall Windows 10 to check the results.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 5:37 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 2:11 AM