Managing Server 2012 via RSAT from Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are you able to manage Server 2012 via RSAT from a Windows 7 machine or does it have to be Windows 8?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a good question and I had wondered the same thing. I think the best answer here is that it is not recommended. The download page for RSAT tools for Windows 7 states that you should only use them for Server 2008 R2, Server 2008, and Server 2003.

That said, I did test this briefly, and for consoles that haven't changed (ex: DNS), the RSAT tools for Windows 7 will connect to a computer running Server 2012 and allow you to perform administrative tasks. Again, it isn't recommended. To use Server Manager in 2012 you must use the RSAT tools for Windows 8.

-Greg

P.S. The RSAT tools for Windows 8 will not install on Windows 7. 

Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a good question and I had wondered the same thing. I think the best answer here is that it is not recommended. The download page for RSAT tools for Windows 7 states that you should only use them for Server 2008 R2, Server 2008, and Server 2003.

That said, I did test this briefly, and for consoles that haven't changed (ex: DNS), the RSAT tools for Windows 7 will connect to a computer running Server 2012 and allow you to perform administrative tasks. Again, it isn't recommended. To use Server Manager in 2012 you must use the RSAT tools for Windows 8.

-Greg

P.S. The RSAT tools for Windows 8 will not install on Windows 7. 

Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Thanks
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:47 PM