Exporting mailbox to PST file fails RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to export a user mailbox to a pst file, I get this error.

Export-Mailbox : Error was found for "Username" (username@mydomain.com) because: Error occurred in the step: Approving object. Access denied., error code: -2147024891

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:02 PM

Answers

• It appears to work now. Instead of using "Run As" for the powershell with my domain admin account. I used my regular account instead.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• Are you part of exchange or admin or exchange server admin on the server that username@mydomain lives on?

The user running the task must be an Exchange Organization Administrator or an Exchange Server Administrator on the server where the mailbox to export or import lives."

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:08 PM
  •  believe the account i'm using is. How can I verify?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:17 PM
  • What version of exchange? If 2007 open emc, organizational config. On right pane see what groups you belong to. If it shows AD groups see if you belong to those AD groups.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:33 PM
  • We have Exchange 2007, I'm in the Domain Admins group. Role=Exchange Organization Administrator

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Don't use the domain admins groups like that its a protected group and it can have deny rights on receive-as. For best practice create another AD group and assign it to the exchange org admin or just add your account to the group.
    • Edited by Jamestechman Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Should it be Oranization or Server Administrator?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:05 PM
  • It can be either, if exchange server admin it must be exchange server admin on the server for the mailbox you're trying to move.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:08 PM
  • This is the error msg.

Warning:
    To fully administer exchange server, you need to manually add the user or group 'co.hernando.fl.us/ADMINS/Rufus Ricks' to the built-in local administrators group on server 'HCEXCHSRV'.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Yup forgot about that, yes you need that.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:13 PM
  • --------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Warning
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Warnings

get-ExchangeAdministrator
    Completed

Warning:
    The server administrator 'co.hernando.fl.us/ADMINS/Rufus Ricks' is not a member of the Exchange View-Only Administrators.

OK

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:18 PM
  • You're sure you added Rufus Ricks to the exchange server admin role?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:38 PM
  • It appears to work now. Instead of using "Run As" for the powershell with my domain admin account. I used my regular account instead.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Ahh good find!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:09 PM