How to replace Word 2010 normal.dotm for several users who have a roaming profile? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! Our organization wants to change the default normal.dotm file for all of our users (several thousand) and most of them, not all, have a roaming profile. Is there any way to distribute the normal.dotm template to all users by using an administrative template for office 2010?

What is the most effective way to achieve this? Thank you for your help!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:09 AM

Answers

• The Normal Template is for _user_ settings. It should not be overwritten by you. There is no easy way to do what you ask because it shouldn't be done. Whatever you want to achieve can almost certainly be done in another - better - way.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Friday, April 15, 2011 3:21 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• The Normal Template is for _user_ settings. It should not be overwritten by you. There is no easy way to do what you ask because it shouldn't be done. Whatever you want to achieve can almost certainly be done in another - better - way.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Friday, April 15, 2011 3:21 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Thank you for your response. That's what we thought.

Have a nice weekend!

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:03 AM
  • I really have to disagree with you regarding whether a beginning default template should be used for new users at computer signin. Almost no one in an education environment wants their paragraph spacing at Multiple 1.5 with 10 pt after every paragraph. I am willing to bet that almost no one in any environment wants that as their default.  In an education environment, most users do not initially know how to change their paragraph settings and get very frustrated. 

I do agree that users should be allowed to change their own templates, but being able to distribute a different default template at first signin on a computer is needed.

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I really have to disagree with you regarding whether a beginning default template should be used for new users at computer signin. Almost no one in an education environment wants their paragraph spacing at Multiple 1.5 with 10 pt after every paragraph. I am willing to bet that almost no one in any environment wants that as their default.  In an education environment, most users do not initially know how to change their paragraph settings and get very frustrated.

I do agree that users should be allowed to change their own templates, but being able to distribute a different default template at first signin on a computer is needed.

The default template, Normal.dotm, stores not only styles and formatting but also other customizations which is why it should be left alone. Instead, create a custom template and copy it to your users’ User Templates folder (for example via a login script), and ask them to create documents based on that template. Adding a shortcut to the desktop will of course simplify the task.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:01 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:40 PM