Password protection quandary RRS feed

• Question

• Bit of a puzzle about what to do about password protecting documents for someone requesting this from me. 

It's sensible, I agree, but they will churn out a lot of documents on a weekly basis and if we change the password every so often (again sensible, but...) it will create a problem where they will have to go back and forth with the passwords for opening documents of the past!  Hopefully this makes sense.  It would potentially mean them keeping a list of passwords somewhere in their office to allow them to open up previous documents depending on what date they were opened with what password (thereby ironically deeming the process not very secure...) and it seems like a hassle all round, actually. 

Is there any other way to secure a document without all the above kind of hassle in Word? 

Out of my depth here and could use the advice! 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:49 PM

Answers

• We do need a solution though, i.e. so that we can both access the docs but no one else can... is there an alternative?

There is no Word solution. There is third-party software that encrypts drives or folders. These generally do degrade system performance.

Encryption these days is very powerful.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Marked as answer by Frecklepaw Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:10 AM

All replies

• Only sensitive documents should require a password to open, especially in a corporate environment. Password-protecting everything, especially with different passwords, is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:08 PM
  • Totally appreciate that; is there any other solution available that would suit our needs? 
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:56 AM
  • Tell the other person the problems they'll be creating and strongly suggest they not apply passowrds unnecessarily - anyone else who needs to access those documents will not appreciate it if he/she goes on vacation or leaves the organisation.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:26 AM
  • We do need a solution though, i.e. so that we can both access the docs but no one else can... is there an alternative?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:45 PM
  • If you're on the same network, you could use a shared folder. Discuss it with your IT people.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:38 PM
  • Hello,

How is everything going? Feel free to post back if you still need further assistance.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:10 AM

There is no Word solution. There is third-party software that encrypts drives or folders. These generally do degrade system performance.

Encryption these days is very powerful.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Marked as answer by Frecklepaw Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:10 AM
  • Thanks Charles, this is useful to know to rule out and investigate fully what my options are. 
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:50 AM