none
System Queued Windows Error Reporting and WinSXS: Delete or not Delete?

Question

• Greetings,

I have server 2008 R2 SP1 that is reporting low disk space.

I installed the Desktop Experience and ran the Cleanup.

Windows update reported 5GB of  used space so I selected it and ran the cleanup wizard. It now shows

So I re-ran the Cleanup and saw this

1. System Queued Windows Error reporting 20GB!

Can I just run cleanup and get rid of them?

Why is the default on the logs folder so large?

Also when I look at the winsxs directory the size is 17GB but it no longer shows in the disk cleanup as an option to get rid of.

Liam

• Edited by Liam Haw Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:00 PM Wanted to add last line.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Cleanup wizard displays 20GB System Queued Windows Error reporting on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

It is safe to use the cleanup wizard to clear the System Queued Windows Error reporting. If there is too many space has been used by the Error reporting, you may consider of disable it:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754364.aspx

After finishing the cleanup process, restart the server to make the change effected. Then, re-run the cleanup wizard and confirm the result.

Besides, reference below link for more information about How to Clean up the WinSxS Directory and Free Up Disk Space on Windows Server 2008 R2 with New Update:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/05/13/how-to-clean-up-the-winsxs-directory-and-free-up-disk-space-on-windows-server-2008-r2-with-new-update.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:17 AM
  • Thank You Eve,

I deleted the Queued Windows Error reporting files as you said. Sadly it only freed up about 8 GB of space.

The WINSXS folder still shows a size of 9GB and the Cleanup tool only shows a news space gain of 1.3GB if I delete the Windows Update Folder.

When I originally ran the tool it showed a space gain of 37GB if I deleted/cleaned those two folders. It is curious why the total space gained is only about a quarter of that total.

Any ideas.

Liam

Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:24 PM