black desktop background + all my desktop files have gone + error longon message "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded" when log on as admin + error 0x800106ba RRS feed

• Question

• I've researched a lot about the error messages but unfortunately none of the posts helped...
    I've used system restore under safe mode. I tried to uninstall windows defender however I can't find it under programmes and features. I tried uninstalling windows update for windows defender, so I click the uninstall button but the update is still in the list after I uninstall it. :S 

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my vista?
    Any help is appreciated! 

• Edited by caramelslice Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:24 AM
    • Edited by Jason.Smith Friday, June 26, 2009 6:18 PM fixing double encoded title
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, may I know the following:

1.    When you logon with Administrator account, is it successful, such as that you can access the desktop, run applications, check the files on the hard disk?

2.    I also noticed that the error 0x800106ba appeared when logging on with Administrator account, what the error message for? Please provide us the details. If it is possible, please also capture a screenshot for our further research:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and share its URL with us.

3.    Is this computer in a domain? And is your profile a roaming profile?

Regarding this issue, I also suspect that the user’s profile may be corrupted. At this time, I would like to suggest the following:

1.     If you can logon to Safe Mode, please try:

1)    Grant the users Full Control permissions on the profile folder and propagate this to all files and subfolders.

2)    Take ownership of the profile folder and propagate this down to all files and subfolders.

2.     Please also check this Knowledge Base and try the solution:

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:53 AM
  • By the way, I've read the link you gave me many many times before I reinstalled windows. But it didn't do my laptop any good... :(
    and also I attempted to make changes in regedit according to this link below:

According to forums, It has helped many people but it didn't help me. :s
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:44 AM

All replies

• Nobody has ideas?
    I am not able to rename anything in registry editor.
    I have two partitions.  
    Main partition(c:):
    There is nothing left under my guest and admin account folders.
    All the programmes I've installed cannot be found on start menu but some of them still remain in "programmes and features".

Partition(d:): everything is still there.

Please don't tell me it's caused by viruses... My anti-virus is till running even I am unable to do anything else...
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, may I know the following:

1.    When you logon with Administrator account, is it successful, such as that you can access the desktop, run applications, check the files on the hard disk?

2.    I also noticed that the error 0x800106ba appeared when logging on with Administrator account, what the error message for? Please provide us the details. If it is possible, please also capture a screenshot for our further research:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and share its URL with us.

3.    Is this computer in a domain? And is your profile a roaming profile?

Regarding this issue, I also suspect that the user’s profile may be corrupted. At this time, I would like to suggest the following:

1.     If you can logon to Safe Mode, please try:

1)    Grant the users Full Control permissions on the profile folder and propagate this to all files and subfolders.

2)    Take ownership of the profile folder and propagate this down to all files and subfolders.

2.     Please also check this Knowledge Base and try the solution:

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if you have had an opportunity to try my suggestions and how is everything going. If you have any questions or concerns on the information I've provided you, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:41 AM

• 1.    When you logon with Administrator account, is it  successful, such as that you can access the desktop, run applications, check the files on the hard disk?

1) The desktop background is black but the taskbar and start menu are still visable and usable;
    2)  However, when I click "Start" the only items available are Computer, network and control Panel; In other words, all the applications that I've installed have gone;
    3) Nothing has been deleted under c:\program file. However I am unable to execute any .exe file. When I click on any .exe file, my laptop does nothing.(It doesn't give me any error message too. :S) So I am not able to access ms paint and creat any screenshots for this post sorry.
    4) I've tried to install my previous applications eg:msn, ms office, iTune... and I was ABLE to do so.
    5) Right clicking desktop gives me nothing at all. 
    6) The only things missing are my user documents.
    7) The weiredest thing is - even though everything has gone, my anti-virus is still running!
    8) I still have connection to the internet.

2.    I also noticed that the error 0x800106ba appeared when logging on with Administrator account, what the error message for? Please provide us the details. If it is possible, please also capture a screenshot for our further research:

Originally, I have two accounts for this laptop:
    Administrator and User(Normal user)

I was uninstalling a printer driver before the problem occured. I can't recall whether windows update was in progress while I was uninstalling the driver. I was on my normal user 
    account during the driver uninstall. After the uninstall, my desktop background went black, everything on my destop had gone except the Recycle bin.
    So I restarted my comp, logged in as normal user, here is when the disaster began...
    I wasn't able to log in as Administrator. The message I got as posted above: "User profile failed to load."

3.    Is this computer in a domain? And is your profile a roaming profile?

It's a standalone PC. It has never joined a domain before. It's not a roaming profile.

Regarding this issue, I also suspect that the user’s profile may be corrupted. --> pretty sure. But What was the cause? 

0x800106ba -> according to google knowledge base, it seems like this is caused by a windows update. I don't eliminate the possibility that my driver uninstall is the cause 

either. I've been on windows for years. I was quite happy with Vista all this time but I don't understand why and this happened. 

4. If you can logon to Safe Mode...
    Yes I could. Since I was unable to create a new admin using my normal user account or log on as admin, I booted to safe mode, by the way I couldn't create an admin user using control panel UI either. It just doesn't response when I want to create a new admin. Still, thanks to MS windows there is a thing called command line and I was able to create admin user from there. :)
    Yup I have also used the new created admin user to view the files under the other two accounts. Sadly it looks no difference to me from viewing it from the normal user account: 
    no files can be found under admin/normal user document.

Sorry Nicolas, I have been a bit behind with this forum.
    It's a bit too late now as I have solved the problems by the most ORIGINAL way - reinstalled windows.
    Thanks for your help. :)
    If unfortunately the problem is caused by the update, I hope MS can solve it soon. We still love Windows. :)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:36 AM
  • By the way, I've read the link you gave me many many times before I reinstalled windows. But it didn't do my laptop any good... :(
    and also I attempted to make changes in regedit according to this link below:

According to forums, It has helped many people but it didn't help me. :s
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response and the detailed additional feedback.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Although the information which both I provided and you got didn’t help on this case, I still hope the information will benefit many other users, and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

If you need help in the future, please feel free to post a new thread to our forum and we will do our best to help you.

Have a great day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:02 AM