maximum mailbox size in 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked through the FAQ's and searched all over, but I can't find an answer to this simple question: What is the maximum mailbox size available per user in Exchange 2007 SP2 Enterprise Edition?

We have a small number of users (under 25) however they have current pop mail accounts housing between half a gig and 8+ gigs of e-mail. Maintaining archives has been troublesome. 
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Also  using EMC when you try to set ProhibitSendAndReceive size (in KB) to a very large value, then Exchange tells you the range in numbers which you can set if this property is not set to 'Unlimited', and upper limit of that range is 

2147483647 KB = 2097151 MB = almost 2 TB

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Snr Software Engineer(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) http://HostingController.com
    • Proposed as answer by Laeeq Qazi Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marc Medina Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:01 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:41 PM

All replies

• I have never heard of limit. I have seen a mail box of 91 GB. so i am sure there is no limit on it (till the time you can manage it properly). So i think till the time you can manage them with a proper back up. You can go ahead with big mail boxes.
    Raj
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Excellent! Thanks for the concise answer!
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:03 PM
  • It's not about mailbox size, its about item counts:

In Exchange 2007, improvements in I/O, larger page size, and increased cache can help enable an increase in the recommended maximum item count. With properly architected hardware, an acceptable user experience can still be maintained with item counts as high as 20,000 items.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc535025.aspx
    Understanding the Performance Impact of High Item Counts and Restricted Views

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

Also  using EMC when you try to set ProhibitSendAndReceive size (in KB) to a very large value, then Exchange tells you the range in numbers which you can set if this property is not set to 'Unlimited', and upper limit of that range is 

2147483647 KB = 2097151 MB = almost 2 TB

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Snr Software Engineer(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) http://HostingController.com
    • Proposed as answer by Laeeq Qazi Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marc Medina Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:01 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Laeeq,

Are you saying that each user has a maximum of 2TB of capacity for their email and all?

Or unlimited as I read in other forums?

Would appreciate your reply on this.

Thank you.

Rgds

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:24 AM
  • On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:24:20 +0000, Stefen Choo wrote:

>Are you saying that each user has a maximum of 2TB of capacity for their email and all?
    >
    >Or unlimited as I read in other forums?
    >
    >Would appreciate your reply on this.

The limit on a mailbox's size is the size of the database in which it
    resides (assuming it's the only mailbox in the database).

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:23 PM
  • On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:24:20 +0000, Stefen Choo wrote:

>Are you saying that each user has a maximum of 2TB of capacity for their email and all?
    >
    >Or unlimited as I read in other forums?
    >
    >Would appreciate your reply on this.

The limit on a mailbox's size is the size of the database in which it
    resides (assuming it's the only mailbox in the database).

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Practically what rich has said is true, you cannot have a mailbox bigger than your mailbox database in which mailbox resides. Having said that, theoratically you CAN set mailbox size (ProhibitSendAndReceive ) to 2 TB if you dont want to use Unlimited for that mailbox. And if you use Unlimited then mailbox size limit is not checked, but do remember to set the flag "UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults" to False, if you want to override quota values for mailbox.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    Friday, December 23, 2011 4:57 PM